My Wife's just been hit by a car!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Walking back across a car park, I was with my Daughter whilst my Wife was arm in arm with my mum a few yards behind us.
I heard a bang, then some shouting, and turned to see my usually very placid Wife ranting at a driver and looking shaken.
I ran over to see what the problem was and she announced that as they'd crossed behind the car, he'd reversed into her and only stopped when she screamed and thumped the car! he then mouthed some abuse at her before driving off.

Happily I didn't see the actual incident otherwise I would have probably got myself in trouble for forcefully stopping him.
Also, by good fortune, I had my brand new digital SLR camera around my neck (we'd been visiting a local attration) so got a crystal clear picture of the car and registration plate.

Another happy coincidence, a community police officer happened along a few seconds later so we reported the incident, he then summoned a local car which turned up in under two minutes to take all the details.
There were cameras in the car park, so the police went off to see if there was any footage, took all our details and promised to be back in touch.

I very much doubt anything will come of it, but they promised to speak to the driver so if nothing else it may make him think about using his mirrors next time.
The "what if's" if it had been my daughter, or elderly mum that had been hit instead don't bear thinking about.

Anyway, my Wife's fine, if not a little bruised so she'll be visiting the doctors tomorrow to at least log the injury.

Grrrrr, bl**dy ignorant car drivers!

Alun

Guru
Glad your wife is OK. Did the driver give his details? Sounds like an offence if he didn't.

shippers

Yup, the driver should be in the mire for that one- failing to stop, failing to report, driving without due care. Probably get a minor slap on the wrist and a couple of points though!

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks all. Mrs P is fine, just bruised although her back is starting to hurt now.

No, the driver had no intention of stopping, just mouthed abuse at her and drove off.
I'll update when/if there's any news.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Yup, the driver should be in the mire for that one- failing to stop, failing to report, driving without due care. Probably get a minor slap on the wrist and a couple of points though!

If it was in a car park I'm not sure that endorsable offences have been committed.

IANAL though.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks all. Mrs P is fine, just bruised although her back is starting to hurt now.

No, the driver had no intention of stopping, just mouthed abuse at her and drove off.
I'll update when/if there's any news.

What a tosser
angry.gif

Glad Mrs P is fine.

slugonabike

I'm very glad to hear that Mrs P is OK although I expect she'll feel sore in the morning.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Glad to hear she's okay. Failing to stop is indeed a serious offence, and if it can be proven from the CCTV footage that should result in the driver getting points on their licence.

To Vernon, it makes no difference at all that this happened in a car park. almost all moving traffic offences refer to "places to which the public has access".

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
It seems car parks are full of idiots driving like this. Someone drove into my Father's car a while back and f***ed off, luckily its a Landy so hopefully they're the one with more damage. Dad came out the supermarket to find the damage.

Glad your wife isnt too hurt, Panter. I hope Plod throw the book at him for being a d***, though I'm sure we're all realistic. :angry:

I think we should be allowed old school satisfaction. Put me in the ring with them, I'd love to even up the score away from the safety of their car.. Would love a judge to make that ruling, hehe! :evil:

Glad to hear this wasn't worse

Although if your wife was injured, and had incurred any expenses you could claim these from the driver's insurance. Contact the Police and ask for the report number then claim.

postman

Legendary Member
Best wishes from me also .

My wife tolds me a story awhile back .Her only ever brand new car .many years back .She went to visit her Gran in Hospital .One car only one car in the car park .And the silly women reversed into my wife's car .You could not make it up .

Jezston

Über Member
Glad to hear this wasn't worse

Although if your wife was injured, and had incurred any expenses you could claim these from the driver's insurance. Contact the Police and ask for the report number then claim.

Sounds like the type who probably hasn't any!

Although he'll get more than a slap on the wrist if that's the case.

Guy should get a decent fine at the very least.

Top Bottom