Name that frame!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeman1

Hi there - I bought this bike recently to restore and *thought it was a holdsworth but it doesn't seem to have a frame number stamped in it - does anyone have any clue as to what the true idetity may be?

Here's the spec (Below) I'm happy to send anyone with an interest more photos as I'd love to get to the bottom of where the bike originated.
Here's a set of images on Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...57627617593471/

Wheelbase 41"Lugs Prugnat type spearpoint
Bottom bracket RGF
Forks Chrome Tange type 2C with sloping crown
Rear derailleur Campagnolo Nuovo Record
Front .. .. .. ..
Gear levers Campagnolo bar-end
Chainset .. Record strada 52-44 170 cranks
Bottom bracket MICHE
Headset Tange falcon
Stem Ambrosio
Handlebars Fiamme
Seatpost Campagnolo record 27
Brakes Weinmann type 730 (possibly not original)
Brake levers Universal
Frame No 12548 (this is scratched on the bottom bracket and only visible after stripping back to bare metal)

CIMG1064.jpeg CIMG1053.jpeg CIMG1055.jpeg

Zoiders

Looks like a Brian Rourke frame.

brockers

No idea what your frame is (you're clearly well versed in componentry though). Something from the late fifties/early sixties is all I can say, and the wrapover seatstay might be some builder's trademark. Have you tried the bods over on retrobike.co.uk?

You might not be aware of the rules, but it's a requirement of this forum for new posters to give away one component of any bike they're restoring to the first person who asks.

Can I have your seatpost please?

;)

Zoiders

Quite a few builders used the wrap over, Carlton being the obvious example, Carltons had a thin round section wrap though and not the big flat strap wrap around you see in the picture, Rourke did and still do use the flat strap wrap, it's not exclusive to them though.

I would email a picture and frame number to them and see if it's one of theirs.

It's originally set up for Weinmann centre pulls, hence the bridge on the rear triangle.

OP
OP
B

bikeman1

No idea what your frame is (you're clearly well versed in componentry though). Something from the late fifties/early sixties is all I can say, and the wrapover seatstay might be some builder's trademark. Have you tried the bods over on retrobike.co.uk?

You might not be aware of the rules, but it's a requirement of this forum for new posters to give away one component of any bike they're restoring to the first person who asks.

Can I have your seatpost please?

;)

No sorry

davidw

I am a bit late on the scene to add to this thread (!), but I have inherited a bike which appears to have some similar specs. It has the same wrap over seat stay and RGF stamped on bottom bracket. My friend, Doug Watt now living in Chicago, was an active amateur racing cyclist in late 60s early 70s and, I believe ,belonged to Herne Hill Club. He was given the bike himself and tells me that the frame at least was ridden to some British Road record. I am currently cleaning up the bike and made a bit of a botch job of gluing the tubeless tyres - my first attempt. I too wondered who was the framemaker. It would be great to pin down the maker and the what the record was. Does anyone recognise Mik Sport?Apparently it could have been a made up name by the first owner and not a recognised team or brand.
P1050969.JPG

Attachments

• P1050970.JPG
    P1050970.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 63
  • P1050974.JPG
    P1050974.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 57
  • P1050980.JPG
    P1050980.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Looks like a 70's frame built for bar end shifters. It's not a Rourke as the wrapover is different. Loads of frame builders BITD could have made it but it was likely built to order, even the trendy fork tangs lol. Has a touch of Witcomb about it?

Last edited:

davidw

Thanks Biggs and midlife for your help. At this point I should declare i am not knowledgeable about vintage bikes or even technical stuff so bear with me. But am getting more so, as I look into the subject! After a bit of a wipe I can clearly see a stamp Brev Campagnolo on the drop outs and there is a number stamped on the underneath of the bottom bracket - 483. It seems lug shapes are important in identifying frames and this one has plain but quite elongated lugs.

My friend was actively cycling in the 60s and v early 70s and as the bike was pre-owned this should place it in the 60s rather than 70s as suggested by midlife.

Snaps of all the point in question if they can help. The handlebars, wheel rims and crank are Fiamma and the brakes Mavic.

Attachments

• P1060034.JPG
    P1060034.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 59
  • P1060035.JPG
    P1060035.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 62
  • P1060036.JPG
    P1060036.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Thanks Biggs and midlife for your help. At this point I should declare i am not knowledgeable about vintage bikes or even technical stuff so bear with me. But am getting more so, as I look into the subject! After a bit of a wipe I can clearly see a stamp Brev Campagnolo on the drop outs and there is a number stamped on the underneath of the bottom bracket - 483. It seems lug shapes are important in identifying frames and this one has plain but quite elongated lugs.

My friend was actively cycling in the 60s and v early 70s and as the bike was pre-owned this should place it in the 60s rather than 70s as suggested by midlife.

Snaps of all the point in question if they can help. The handlebars, wheel rims and crank are Fiamma and the brakes Mavic.

My Comment was on the OP's Bike :smile:

Top Bottom