NCN 5 North Wales?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

utdrd

Would appreciate advice on whether the NCN 5 in North Wales is a viable option on a lightly loaded road bike. My main worry concerns certain stretches that appear to be off road, as in traffic free trails. Ideally I'd like to follow the route from Anglesey as far as Flint but have no idea what the surfaces are like on those traffic free stretches. The alternative is the highly dangerous and busy A55 which probably doesn't allow cyclists anyway. I'd also welcome advice on cheap accomodation in Flint. Thanks for reading.

Brommyboy

Über Member
No experience of this particular route, but generally Sustrans routes can be ridden by any sort of bicycle. I rode the routes 81/82 (Fishguard -Aberystwyth - Shrewsbury) using my Brrompton laden with camping gear and had only a short half-mile incomplete section unmanageable. The off-road sections are usually metalled, although not always with quality chippings! The main problem for touring on Sustrans routes are the barriers put up in places and the severe hills included when a short stretch of main road is considered bad policy!

OP
OP
U

utdrd

No experience of this particular route, but generally Sustrans routes can be ridden by any sort of bicycle. I rode the routes 81/82 (Fishguard -Aberystwyth - Shrewsbury) using my Brrompton laden with camping gear and had only a short half-mile incomplete section unmanageable. The off-road sections are usually metalled, although not always with quality chippings! The main problem for touring on Sustrans routes are the barriers put up in places and the severe hills included when a short stretch of main road is considered bad policy!

Thanks for that Brommyboy. Route doesn't look too bad on mapmyride, two category 5 climbs and one category 3. Much better than inland route where there's about 8 climbs in all with a particularly harsh one after Mold.

sadjack

I have ridden most but not all of your route. Should be fine on a roadbike, can be a bit steep in places just prior to Flint but otherwise no problem.

Is there a particular stretch that your worried about when you mention "off road"?

OP
OP
U

utdrd

I have ridden most but not all of your route. Should be fine on a roadbike, can be a bit steep in places just prior to Flint but otherwise no problem.

Is there a particular stretch that your worried about when you mention "off road"?

Yes there appears to be a stretch east of Bangor at Aber to Llanfairfeachan where the route (on a road map) follows the Roman Rd up until a point where the road stops but the ncn5 continues on. Presumably this part is a traffic free trail. Hopefully you know the area I'm referring to.

Bodhbh

Guru
Yes there appears to be a stretch east of Bangor at Aber to Llanfairfeachan where the route (on a road map) follows the Roman Rd up until a point where the road stops but the ncn5 continues on. Presumably this part is a traffic free trail. Hopefully you know the area I'm referring to.

I don't think the road stops (from memory and now looking at an OS map). It follows the road all the time till between around Colwyn Bay and Prestatyn, when there's a cycle path along the seafront for 20 odd miles. There's sometimes alot of sand on the path, but probably doable on a road bike.

The if it's what I think you mean the Roman Road is a rough track with a very sleep climb from the coast, not part of the NCN5. We did it on tourers and was pushing most of the way up.

sadjack

The NCN5 from Aber (Abergwyngregyn) follows quiet roads and shared pavement alongside the A55 to Llanfairfechan, its well sign posted if my memory serves me right, at least it was last summer!

Shirokazan and you may find some useful information on this site http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/

The editor of the site, details on the home page, is very knowledgeable about the routes and I am sure will help you if you make contact.

Enjoy your rides :biggrin:

mike1026

I ride this route regularly it is mostly well signed and good surfaces apart from the lifting green tarmac at Colwyn Bay. Between Llanfairfechan and Penmaenmawr they have spent a lot of money on two new bridges so that you do not have to use the A55 anymore. Be aware that as you approach Conwy there is a good recently newly surfaced path around the harbour but it is not signed when approaching from Penmaenmawr. From Penmaenmawwr, when you come off the path alongside the A55 turn left ignoring the cycle route sign to the right continue to the small roundabout and turn right last exit, take the next right going over the A55 and a cattle grid you will then see the path on your left going past the School alongside the estuary this brings you into the Harbour at Conwy passed the smallest house in Wales.

OP
OP
U

utdrd

Have contacted the guys at www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk who gave some good advice on the route. Also said not to worry about'dismantled' bit which is a footpath/cyclepath adjacent to the A55. Apparently there are signs up to say it's closed but everyone still uses it and it's less than a mile in any case. And thanks for that info Mike1026, much appreciated.

Peter88

Veteran
Just come back from North Wales and the stretch between Kimmel Bay and Rhyl had qiute a lot off sand on the path and was only passable by walking.

OP
OP
U

utdrd

How is the A548 between Prestatyn and Flint? Busy, dangerous etc? Might try avoid the steep climbs before Flint on the NCN 5 and take the easy way.

ian789

The hill out of Baglit is huge and I mean huge. Nice view from the top. The A548 should be ok as long as you keep your wits about you. Broken cross-hatched area in the middle so cars can move out safely
biggrin.gif

Start of the hill where it's 'easy'
ohmy.gif

STP84602.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How is the A548 between Prestatyn and Flint? Busy, dangerous etc? Might try avoid the steep climbs before Flint on the NCN 5 and take the easy way.

It's been tamed to 40 mph most of the way. You can get to Talacre on the NCN, through Presthaven Sands, then over a slightly rough track (OK for touring tyres), then back to the main road.

I've ridden the A548 loads of times when it was fast - TBH - it's dead boring though (if you've driven/ridden this road lots of times), but I think it's the best way to get through to Flint.

We stay at our in-laws caravan in Gronant, and regularly ride the NCN 5 down to Rhyl with the kids (5 miles). There will soon be a new bridge at the far end of rhyl to avoid using the road. The route further down will be cleared of the sand shortly, as everything is just opening up at the moment.

TBH I love the NCN 5 - it's great with kids, right by the sea, just time to chill.

Top Bottom