NCN1 - is it a good route for me to take?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I'm planning to startle my parents by cycling to their New Year's break cottage near Beccles (Norfolk) from my home near Colchester. I've got a couple of OS maps from the library that cover the route and had planned to cycle to Ipswich, then up to Debenham, Eye and then parallel with the A143 which goes NE towards Beccles/Bungay.

However I've noticed on the OS map that the NCN Route 1 goes north from Ipswich to pretty much where I'm hoping to go. It looks quite twisty but I wondered if it would be a more enjoyable route to take. I don't mind if it adds 5 miles onto the journey (although not if it adds extra hills!) but I wondered if anyone has any recommendations, having cycled it, as to whether I'd be better off on the A roads. I'm cycling a recumbent trike which goes well on any roads but mucky quiet roads do tend to mean I end up with mud spatters up my arms.

Brains

Legendary Member
Given the option I'd take the NCN route - I have done long stretches of that route further south (in starts at Dover and goes to Berwick)

I would strongly suggest you get the Sustrans map of the route (as well as your O/S maps) (Available from Sustrans web site or good bike shops)

The NCN routes do tend to be fairly twisty and depending on the quality of the local signposting can be a challenge to follow, but they also take in the best route for a bike and so avoid hill where possible and steer clear of A roads like the plague.

Fast they ain't .....

I did the NCN1 route on a recumbent (Street Machine) as always the Sustrans route is a mix of ideal and the local Council's interpretation of what cyclists want.

As a result it is windy and there are shortcuts that can be taken, but otherwise an enjoyable ride.

I always had problems getting past the Ship at Blaxhall though!

inaperfectworld

yes i'd take the ncn 1 as it will be a more pleasant route and it will be signposted although as pointed out yo can't rely on it so check route on the map. my experience is that signs are occassionally poor in towns but generally ok in the cpuntryside

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Don't be a slave to NCN routing. Some if it is less than ideal and it's sometimes worthwhile taking a short cut when the route meanders excessively and sometimes pointlessly.

mike1026

I have been a Sustrans Ranger for several years; while the NCN is far from perfect it is, apart from the National ByWay, the only game in town. The points about pointless meanderings are unfortunately very true. Hills are not always avoided it depends who laid the route out; superfit CTC or sensible tourer! Local Rangers will endeavour to ensure that their section of route is well signed but beware of sign turners and vandals. The Sustrans web site has lots of info and maps you can find your area here http://www.sustrans.org.uk/default.asp?sID=1091194305156 It may be that a local Ranger or Group have a web site for NCR1 there is a photo tour here http://www.sustrans.org.uk/default.asp?sID=1133958809937

pw2389

I did the NCN1 route from Hull to Felixstowe, north to south, in 2005, except I went round the Norfolk coast and so missed out the section between (approximately) Fakenham and Beccles. However, I rejoined the NCN1 just south of Beccles (I was coming in from Lowestoft) and did some of your possible route but in reverse.

The route was well-signposted - I didn't make any wrong turns that I know of - and there were no hills to mention - the countryside mostly just rolls. I did get stuck in some congestion near Ringsfield Corner - a farmer had decided to move his herd of Friesians, which entailed moving about 100 of the beasts for about 1/2 mile down the road! :biggrin:

PS I don't know how but I managed to miss the Ship at Blaxhall. ;)

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Thanks for the replies. I'm off on my journey tomorrow, 58 miles, but have decided not to take the NCN route but to take a suitable-looking B road which runs parallel to the NCN but 4 or so miles to the west. It looks much straighter and has the likelihood of a pub or two that I can stop at on the way.

I may cycle home in the New Year (rather than catching the train or going by car) and, if so, might try the NCN on the return trip.

wafflycat

Bum. Bottom. Bum. If I had noticed this in time I would have said to anyone planning to go NCN through Norfolk and you plan to use the bit through King's Lynn: don't. It is bloody awful, the pits, sh!te, a festering pustle on an infected boil. I avoid cycling in KL whenever I can - I *loathe* it with all my being. It has got to have one of the absolute worst outbreaks of pavement cycle 'farcilitles' in the world. It really is to be avoided.

pw2389

wafflycat said:
...anyone planning to go NCN through Norfolk and you plan to use the bit through King's Lynn: don't. It is bloody awful, the pits, sh!te, a festering pustle on an infected boil. I avoid cycling in KL whenever I can...

Yes, it wasn't particularly straightforward following the official route, particularly as it involved going along one bit where you weren't supposed to cycle (!). But I somehow managed to find the right route out of the town, more by following my nose than anything else. Of course, it may have become worse in the 3.5 years since I went there.

kennyc

inaperfectworld said:
yes i'd take the ncn 1 as it will be a more pleasant route and it will be signposted although as pointed out yo can't rely on it so check route on the map. my experience is that signs are occassionally poor in towns but generally ok in the cpuntryside

Have sent you a personal message
Kenny

Top Bottom