Nearly crashed my car yesterday.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seven thirty last night driving from Monmouth to Chepstow via Trelick, nice evening, clear open road, having a great time when I encountered a sheep with two baalambs in the middle of the road. I stopped in plenty of time and carried on once they'd moved out of the way but once I was back up to speed I saw a 4X4 hurtling along in the opposite direction. I knew that the sheep were on his side of the road on a blind bend so reached for my hazard lights button (on top of the steering column) to alert him and, with one hand on the wheel, my front wheel hit a pothole and chucked the car over to the right two feet over the dividing line. I got it straightened up in time but it was as close as I've ever come to death. eek.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Report that pothole for dangerous driving ;)

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
galaxy1 said:
Glad you're still with us .Did your stomach jump out of your mouth?
Twenty year old VW Corrado versus TOYOTA LANDCRUISER wearing roobars with a closing speed of 120mph.

I fear it might have been all of my internal organs. ;)

yenrod

Mickle if you apply 2 hands on your handlebars how about 2 hands on the steering wheel ;)

1 A4 page of:

I must keep my hands on the steering wheel !

Then go and stand outside the Admins office ! :biggrin:

LLB

mickle said:
Twenty year old VW Corrado versus TOYOTA LANDCRUISER wearing roobars with a closing speed of 120mph.

I fear it might have been all of my internal organs. ;)

How do you know he was only doing 40mph ?

asterix

Comrade Member
Maybe a headlamp flash would have been easier?

The hazard switch on my useless car is hidden behind the steering wheel somewhere. I can never find it in haste. My Toyota van's is placed exactly right for when you need it quickly as are all its other switches.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Glad you are still with us.
Yes, headlamp flashes would have been easier and probably attracted more attention.

I use a road with sheep on quite frequently and a few months ago I slowed to a stop to let a sheep finish crossing. There was a line of traffic approching in the distance that the sheep was going to be in front of so I flashed my lights several times to make sure the cars ahead saw me (and the sheep). They didn't slow down and the leading car had to do an emergency stop, almost causing a pile up as the old codger driving didn't see the sheep until the last moment. He then chuckled and shrugged his shoulders at me as if to say 'Sheep just appear out of nowhere!'.
Stupid blind git!

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
linfordlunchbox said:
One of my favourite routes on the m/cycle ;)

It's a lovely road alright, when I lived in Bris I regularly rode my bike to and fro Hereford on it and then the back way past the school in Monmouth. Once had a class of kids cheer me as I rode into Trelick, they appeared to be conducting a traffic survey (car....... tractor........... car..................... Landrover............... yawn............. car........... tractor............................ cyclist! WOOHOO!). Great set of stones in Trelick.

Top Bottom