Nearly knocked off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim_Noir

So went out for a 40 mile cyle today. On the way home (1/2 a mile from home) I am coming down a hill (Crow Rd fro those who know Glasgow) I am doing 30.9mph. Up ahead there is a set of lights, left hand fillter lane (Taking you on to dumbarton Road) on green and straight on right turn on red. So I start to take the corner and all of a sudden this fool in A mondeo (I'm doing about 27 at this point) puts the but do flys in to the ight hand lane then swings left. I hit the breaks (thankfully I unclip!) and just mis the idot run over me. The red mist decends, and after them I go, catch up with them and can see a red light up ahead. Older woman driving, she comes to a stop and so do I (and um forgot to un clip but grabed her car to stop falling).. Told her the error of her ways.. but she said that it wa my fault as "I shouldn't be on the road and shouldn't be trying to break the landspeed record"... notice she has a badge with her name and the bank she works at... the branch I bank with so going to go buy a copy of the highway code and give it to her :biggrin:

So should I report this or is it a waste of time? Am I in the worng for going at the same speed as a car on the road, do car drivers have the right to knock me off for this! ;)

edit: I am glad it wasn't a guy, I think I would have dragged them out the car for the comments!

aJohnson

It's up to you whether you decide to report it. But you most definitely have the right to be on the road and travel the same speeds as cars.

I had someone go over 40 mph today just for the sake of overtaking me, it felt a bit pointless as I was always right behind him after he took over me.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Jim_Noir said:
she said that it wa my fault as "I shouldn't be on the road and shouldn't be trying to break the landspeed record"

I think I may well have ripped the wing mirror off at that point ... and I am quite capable of doing so.

EDIT: Why do these things seem to happen mostly in Glasgow? Lol!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It doesn't matter what speed you were doing really, you (not you, them obviously) don't swap lanes and overtake on a corner, of a busy junction, it is totally moronic and dangerous. That someone was trying to do it whilst you were doing that speed does not reflect on you but on how dangerous a maneuver it was for them. I'd definitely rate this fairly high up the bad driving scale.

OP
OP
Jim_Noir

Jim_Noir

XmisterIS, that's why I am glad it wasn't a bloke!

It was really stupid ignorant driving, that is why I think walking into her place of employment (my bank branch) with a copy of the highway code with the cycling parts highlighted would be better than calling the 5 0. After all what would they do, it's not like the would take her out and show her how to drive... or show her phots of acidents to make her think more... and would any this work!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Turning up at her workplace could be construed as harrassment however. So you'd have to be careful there if you ask me. ;)

In situations like this you'd hope prize plum like that would go into work, or home and say to someone "..had this run in today with a cyclist, he said XYZ" and the situation is discussed with them being corrected in someway. People at work have described incidents like that and I've offered my opinion and advice which is usually "just be patient"

Life isnt ideal though.

purplepolly

downfader said:
Turning up at her workplace could be construed as harrassment however. So you'd have to be careful there if you ask me. ;).

He banks there, unless he closes his account he's not got much choice.

Anyway, I don't think the bank would be best pleased about her wearing her ID and behaving like that in public. Not very good for their reputation.

thomas

the tank engine
purplepolly said:
Anyway, I don't think the bank would be best pleased about her wearing her ID and behaving like that in public. Not very good for their reputation.

+1...I think in my old shop contract/handbook that was something to do with behaviour outside of work....presumably when you are still 'representing' the company in a certain way.

However, I'd be tempted to say leave it alone now.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
purplepolly said:
He banks there, unless he closes his account he's not got much choice.

Exactly, he banks there, doesnt make it right to walk in with the purpose of addressing a driving concern. You go to the Police for that, not direct to the "perp" way after the event. ;)

Sounds nasty Jim! I wouldn't bother reporting it to the police, and I must admit walking into the bank with a highway code might not be the best idea (especially if you wear a full face helmet and balaclava... ;)

However, if you know the branch and her name there would be no harm in sending a highway code via the post with relevant sections highlighted, signing off as 'the concerned cyclist'...

blazed

220lb+
magnatom said:
However, if you know the branch and her name there would be no harm in sending a highway code via the post with relevant sections highlighted, signing off as 'the concerned cyclist'...

I imagine you are the life and soul of every party, your phone must be ringing off the hook playa!

PBancroft

blazed said:
I imagine you are the life and soul of every party, your phone must be ringing off the hook playa!

downfader said:
Funny. I was just thinking the very same of you when I read your reply.

The difference is Blazed really is the life and soul of every party he goes to.

Because he's the only one there.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Kaipaith said:
The difference is Blazed really is the life and soul of every party he goes to.

Because he's the only one there.

;)

I keep imagining him turning up and everone ignorning him everytime he opens his gob, or turning back to their original conversation "..and anyway I said"

Blazed slopes off, silently crying.:biggrin:

Top Bottom