Nearly side-swiped at a junction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holdsworth

Über Member
Early this afternoon I was cycling back home from the doctors surgery in town, I had come up Selworthy Drive and stopped at this junction to turn right onto Bradfield Road. This junction is not far from my home, less than 1/4 of a mile, and one that I had dealt with many times and had no problems with.

I probably think looking back that I had placed myself too far to the right in my lane on this occasion and set myself up for what came next. I was awiting for a bout 20-30 seconds for a gap in the traffic when a young woman in blue Suzuki Swift (New shape) thought it was a good idea to come up my left side and turn right in front of me. Maybe I should have stayed back and let her go but I decided to press on regardless. When a gap in the traffic came she moved out at the same time as me and turned right and nearly went into my rear wheel as I was crossing the opposite lane to move into a secondary position before my next turn which was 100 yards down the road.

I let a loud OOOIIIII!!!!! WTF ARE YOU DOING!!! as this happened.

She then sat behind me until I reached my turn off, at which point she sped off in front of me. I then saw her 20 seconds afterwords speeding down Mablins Lane from the far end of Falcon Drive, she looked to be going somewhere in a hurry at well above the speed limit for the roads (30)

I don't know why she thought that such an act was acceptable or how it would save her any time because it clearly didn't. I did not get her number plate so I cannot report her so I'll just have to let this pass. I noted that there was no use of the horn or rude gestures out of the window, just pure "beat the cyclist" move out of my way actions with the car.

Next time I'll take a more central position at that junction and others like it to avoid any more incidents like that happening again. I admit that I felt quite angry when I got home and rather shaken up.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I hate it when they edge up the inside, when you are trying to 'take the lane' for a reason.......... bad driving, and she probably thought no more of it........... normal to her......

Ste T.

Guru
I have come to conclusion that the vast majority of drivers don't have a clue why you are taking the lane or positioning yourself in anyway defensively. Most of them wont ride a bike on a regular basis let alone in rush hour traffic and will never have been near a copy of cycle craft. To them you are just acting like an peanut deliberately blocking their way just to be awkward and react as such.
I don't know what the answer is. They will never make a cycling course compulsory prior to getting a license as many advocate. Now that the banks have stuffed public spending for a generation there won't be the money for a campaign to educate drivers as to cycle/road positioning. All you do is ride defensively and expect daily acts of stupidity.
And try to keep a sense of humour about it. :cursing:

As Easy As Riding A Bike

I probably think looking back that I had placed myself too far to the right in my lane on this occasion and set myself up for what came next.

I hope you're not blaming yourself. Looking at the width of that junction, it's probably impossible to find a position where you can prevent idiots from carrying out that kind of stupidity.

And it's their fault, full stop. Not yours.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Sometimes I get the chance to point out my camera when I get a plonker like this and I think they're going to do something stupid. That changes them into meek little lambs most of the time.

Top Bottom