Nearly taken out, but happy ending!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cameramanjim

Getting faster, very slowly
I was cycling home from work last night along Clapham High St at about 6.15pm. It was wet and I was probably going about 18 mph. There was a car at the junction of Lendal Terrace waiting to turn left into Clapham High Street. The driver could clearly see me (two front lights, high viz jacket etc) and actually looked me in the eye before pulling out in front of me and then stopping. I swerved and slalomed along the road narrowly avoiding his car and other stationary cars in the road. I shouted something ("NO!"?), stopped and looked round. Imaging my joy when I saw his car surrounded by three police officers who happened to be walking past. I pushed the bike over to the drivers side of the car (in case I could assist the police with their inquiries ;}) and the guy actually looked at me and said "yes but I did I actually hit you?". For some reason the police didn´t seem to be all that impressed with his explanation. So maybe there IS a god.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
That's the holy grail right there ... I've lost count of the number of times have I cursed under my breath, "where's a policeman when you need one?!" ... your prayers have been answered!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
That pisses me off no end when some one says "but did it hit you!" I'd love to take a swing at their head and see how happy they are about it.:angry: I dont though, because I'm normal and dont make cowardly excuses.

potsy

Rambler
[QUOTE 1317943"]
I'm amazed at the amount of cyclists out there who seem to have telepathic abilities when it comes to thinking what drivers look at and what they see when they pull out of side roads.

IMO riding lit up like a Christmas tree assuming that people will see you is more dangerous then riding without any lights at all.

Let this be a lesson that you (people in general) should never assume that drivers have automatically seen you.
[/quote]

Have to agree with this, it's a bit like when you are waiting to pull out of a side road and the car on the main carriageway is indicating, don't ever assume they are actually going to turn, spotting hazards and potential incidents before they happen is the most important thing you can do.

ferret fur

Have to agree with this, it's a bit like when you are waiting to pull out of a side road and the car on the main carriageway is indicating, don't ever assume they are actually going to turn, spotting hazards and potential incidents before they happen is the most important thing you can do.
I don't disagree with this at all. But at some point you will pass a point of no return and if they pull out- You are going to collide. You cannot cycle (or drive) & come to a stop every time a vehicle appears waiting to pull out of a side road. Since we weren't there you can't assume the OP was complacent. I would have thought the key point was when he met the eye of the driver. When that happens what else are you supposed to do other than make a working assumption that they will wait. The alternative is to give way at every junction no matter what.

quassleberry

Yes there's definitely a god and he's obviously just joined the cycling fraternity :biggrin:

Now I'd best watch out for a thunderbolt, my Mum would say that's blasphemous.

Arch

Married to Night Train
[QUOTE 1317943"]
I'm amazed at the amount of cyclists out there who seem to have telepathic abilities when it comes to thinking what drivers look at and what they see when they pull out of side roads.

[/quote]

To be pedantic, the OP didn't say the driver had clearly seen him, he said he clearly could see him. With lights and hi-vis and eye-contact, the driver clearly should have seen him.

I agree it's wise to assume blindness and idiocy in other roadusers, but there comes a time when you have to carry on, or you'd be stopping at every side road.

OP
OP
cameramanjim

cameramanjim

[QUOTE 1317943"]
IMO riding lit up like a Christmas tree assuming that people will see you is more dangerous then riding without any lights at all.
Let this be a lesson that you (people in general) should never assume that drivers have automatically seen you.
[/quote]

OK I´ll pack up trying to commute to work in case a driver doesn´t see me - your post doesn´t make sense my friend.

I didn´t say that I cycle around "assuming that people will see [me]" because of the lights and high viz jacket, just that this guy suddenly drove out in front of me from a side street. I saw him for a couple of seconds before he did it. I swerved to avoid him. What was I supposed to do, stop as soon as I saw him just in case? The reason I was able to miss him was probably because I had anticipated it might happen. I´m always ready for drivers to turn left without indicating, and the other usual scary stuff, but I don´t need this "to be a lesson to me" thanks anyway. Patronising or what!?

OP
OP
cameramanjim

cameramanjim

[QUOTE 1317953"]
I really can't be arsed and this is the type of shoot that makes me wonder why I come on here.
[/quote]

Which is EXACTLY what I was thinking.

[QUOTE 1317953"]
I really can't be arsed and this is the type of shoot that makes me wonder why I come on here.
[/quote]

And I haven't been on here for about 6 months, and User3143 is still spouting the same type of shoot as always. I wonder why he comes on here too. See you in another 6 months.

buggi

Bird Saviour
someone looking at you and someone seeing you is two completely different things. really glad the police were there but no doubt they will let him off with a caution.

Top Bottom