Neck/Shoulder pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mickwood

Now this may NOT be bike related but...

I've recently started biking and have slowly built up my riding distances to 40 miles in a single day and 30 miles in a single ride so far.

I've now got a pain in my lower neck/shoulder/shoulder blade (on my left hand side) which hurts when in the biking position (and has been killing me over the past few days!)

So my question is, does anyone think this could be due to my riding position? Whilst OK on shorter distance maybe the extended time on the longer trips brings the positioning more into play? I've checked the seat post length and I think that's OK. I've been adjusting the seat angle and have it pretty much parallel with the top bar of the bike. Not sure what else to check but it's keeping me off my bike and...well...I'm having withdrawl symptoms!! :laugh:

I'm hoping someone will reply with a "that's a classic problem all you have to do is....." ;)

Cheers

Mick

ASC1951

Guru
mickwood said:
So my question is, does anyone think this could be due to my riding position?
Very likely indeed. Correct set-up is more important the longer you are on the bike.

It's difficult to say what your exact problem is because there are a lot of variables, but I would start by looking at an online set-up chart. Here is one http://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit but Uncle Google will find you dozens of others. If you are in the market for a new bike fairly soon, it's worth getting it from somewhere that will include with the price a session on a fitting jig; you can get that separately, of course, and IMO it's well worth the cost if you are going to get at all serious about the bike (which you will, just give it time).

OP
OP
M

mickwood

Thanks, I've just bought the bike and it's about a month old - due for it's free service. The LBS has been brilliant so I think what I'll do is ride in and ask them to have a look at me on the bike to check everything looks 'right'...gotta be worth a go? ;)

Willow

I get that and realise it's when I'm gripping the handle bars rather than just holding them, loose and free required ;)

OP
OP
M

mickwood

Willow said:
I get that and realise it's when I'm gripping the handle bars rather than just holding them, loose and free required :evil:

Ah....that could be it? My routes are pretty hilly in places, so I lean in, grab the bars and grind it out until I'm up!! I'll keep an eye on it...thanks! :evil:

Gotte

When I started cycling again after a couple of years off in the early 90s, I remember I had terrible neck and shoulder pain. It was from the constant craning my head over my shoulder to look behind me. It went away after a while, but I remember it did really hurt at the time.

jimboalee

"That's a classic problem. All you have to do is...."

Rest for a couple of days, take another 50km ride, rest for a couple of days, take another 50km ride; and after repeating this several times, your Trapezius muscles will build to where they don't hurt any more.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I don't know anyone who rides a safety bike any distance who doesn't have some pain, be it neck, back, shoulder, elbow, wrist, hand, or butt, if they're willing to admit it. Best solution I know of is to ride a recumbent. (ducking the brickbats!)

In other words, "That's a classic problem, and all you have to do is...ride a recumbent." ;-)

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I can recommend the bikefit system, the LBS i have just bought a new bike from offered it free with the purchase, but the standard test/set up is around £50 (the cost of 1 physio/osteopath appointment).

The results actually gave different geometry/setup results than most other recommendations, considering I suffer from a dodgy lower back. but the result eleviated pain and made it much more fun on longer rides.

You can find a dealer that does it at http://www.bikefitting.com/

Good luck.

Top Bottom