Need a dSLR camera carrying solution

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edindave

Über Member
I'm knackered today after carrying my dSLR and lens out to the Gifford Road Races and back in a backpack. Only 40 or so miles. This distance should be no trouble.
Weighed the backpack (LowePro Borealis laptop bag) when I got home, over 6kg, more than 10% of my bodyweight, and not very easily distributed to make it comfy.
Going forward I need a proper solution for carrying up to 10kg of fragile equipment in panniers.
And a tripod.

Any suggestions please!? :smile:

Norm

I've got a Lowepro Slingshot 200 (the current equivalent is the 202) which weighs, apparently, 900g. It is easily big enough for a camera, long lens, second lens and large flash with room for all the cards, compacts & lens wipes you could ever want. It's a single shoulder back pack, with a second strap which you'll need to secure it when riding, but the design is fab as it lets you just swing it round and get full access - check out the video on that link, it says it better than I could. Highly recommended.

Jessops have the 202 at £70, the (massive!) 302 at £80 and the 102 (smaller but probably the size you need for just a camera and lens) at £60.

Just how rich are you?

The Ortlieb Photo Shuttle would be an answer....

ortlieb%20photo%20shuttle.jpg

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
Thanks guys.
I like the Slingshots but I really need to get the weight off my back.
That Ortlieb is one serious case - with a price to match! :eek:

I think my best option might be to get a padded camera bag insert and use it in an Ortlieb Back Roller or something similar.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Would a bigish bar bag not be more convenient for the camera; stop, unzip, take photo whilst still straddling your bike... I've missed a fair few shots parking my bike, removing my back pack, unzipping then taking a photo. Of course the tripod could still be strapped to the back rack.

I also find weight on the bike isn't as noticeable as weight on me.

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
Hmmm... I hadn't really thought about a bar bag. Just had a look at the Ortlieb Ultimate 5 large... still looks a bit small unfortunately. I need room for at least body + 70-200mm lens (ideally more if possible).

Norm

I like the Slingshots but I really need to get the weight off my back.
Ah... I think I misinterpreted your opening post, then. :blush:

If you are starting from nothing, I'd recommend a Topeak MTX beam rack with a DXP rack bag. Secure, quick and convenient, easy to move between bikes, if that's a factor, and a fair amount of carrying capacity in volume and weight terms.

I've suggested the DXP, but there are alternatives in the same vein. Their EX and RX racks have a smaller capacity and a lower price tag, and the DX bag has the same sized main compartment without the fold-out panniers.

Would a bigish bar bag not be more convenient for the camera; stop, unzip, take photo whilst still straddling your bike... I've missed a fair few shots parking my bike, removing my back pack, unzipping then taking a photo. Of course the tripod could still be strapped to the back rack.
I agree with this, which is why I usually prefer a compact camera in my pocket. From the look of Edindave's shots, though, he appears to be using the bike as transport to the event rather than stopping to grab a shot on the fly. This is definitely a factor for many, though.

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
Thanks Norm.

The beam rack looks like a decent option. I'm thinking it might also provide better isolation from vibration compared to a normal rack. I will check them out, cheers.

Like you suggest the main requirement is for getting to events with a long zoom lens or if I'm off to shoot landscapes with tripod, filters etc.

Bigsharn

Veteran
I just use a generic rack top bag if I'm photographering :tongue: two lenses and the body in the top bit, wrapped in socks and a shirt, and any accessories in the floppy droppy down bits of the bag (flash, diffusers, tripod, etc)

JamieRegan

I often take my binoculars when cycling and I wear them round my neck. To keep them steady, I attach a simple bungee cord around my back, like a bra (ooo-err!_ and hook it to the binos strap. I stop, unhook one end and they're ready to use.

You could do this with a camera if the lens wasn't massive.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
DSLRs are a PIA to ride with even on a motorbike, never mind a cycle.

I solved the weight problem by buying an Olympus E400, which is the smallest and lightest DSLR I could find. It is not the answer to the problem though and I realise everyone has their favourite camera.

I have the Ortileb snap on handlebar bag and ortileb panniers You are right they are very expensive but they are worth it. They are very tough and water tight. Most of the RTW guys use them and that is always a good sign. I have had mine for about 3 years, they are always on the bike and still look like new.

But a cheaper handlebar bag would also do the job.

Steve

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
Thanks for the reply Steve.

Bar bag is pretty much a no go I think... I've pretty much decided that I'm going to try a rack, Ortleib pannier, for which I'll fashion a padded liner from a camera bag insert. It'll do the job I think. Tripod can be bungeed to the rack as well. Just need to research the prices and racks and then hopefully get it organised soon. We're approaching that time of year when sunrises and sunsets are not at incredibly anti-social times - a sunset photo stop would make a nice feature of an evening ride.

Cheers!

I have a range of cameras as I found that the quality of "point and shoot" cameras was less than I wanted. I am quite aware that the "quality" is not always essential, but I like my photography.

I can endorse the Olympus E400 range as small and nice cameras, ideal DSLRs, but I also have a PEN which is as adaptable and far more compact.

For my "runaround" I use the SZ30

As I love churches and carvings a long lens is essential, and both the PEN and E420 will fit into a bar bag with no issues and the SZ30 in a pocket for quick use.

Top Bottom