Need a New Front Wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrRidley

Front wheel wore away quicker than expected, so sent it back to Wiggle who refunded without delay, so top marks to them, however i'm now left without a front wheel and need to get a new one for my road bike, got about £70-£80 spend, not much but any recommendations appreciated.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
What type/size front wheel, what are your priorities (including e.g. semblance to rear)?

OP
OP
M

MrRidley

What type/size front wheel, what are your priorities (including e.g. semblance to rear)?

Ooops :blush: should have mentioned that it's a road wheel, i have a Mavic Open Sport on the back, but that's away due to warranty issues as well, sent back to a different manufacturer, basically i'll be using it for commuting/Audax etc.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
If I were in your position I would probably get one hand-built on Mavic Open Pro with ss db spokes and number depending on load carried. It is lighter, no less strong and would look like a pair with the existing rear. Depending on the hub it can certainly be bought for the budget (see e.g. Parker). I would probably give Harry Rowland a call first though.

What problems did you have with the current wheels?

OP
OP
M

MrRidley

If I were in your position I would probably get one hand-built on Mavic Open Pro with ss db spokes and number depending on load carried. It is lighter, no less strong and would look like a pair with the existing rear. Depending on the hub it can certainly be bought for the budget (see e.g. Parker). I would probably give Harry Rowland a call first though.

What problems did you have with the current wheels?

Well the main problem was rim wear, bought both wheels in Oct 2010, one from Wiggle which has now been refunded without any hassle at all, the other from a company who shall remain nameless for the moment, as they are stalling about warranty issues, anyway both wheels had only done approx 1500 miles but both had completly worn away the rims, so bad that you couldn't even see the rim wear line anymore, front was a Mavic Ksyrium Equipe, rear was a Mavic Open Sport 105 hub, with the refund i got from Wiggle i've bought from a local guy (Big Al to all who know him) a handbuilt Ambrioso wheel with an Ultegra hub for £70.

Will1985

Über Member
What brake pads were you using? Who set the brakes up? What is your riding style (ie: do you brake hard a lot)? Did you ever clean the pads and rims?

It sounds very unusual for two different models of rim to fail/wear that quickly...

OP
OP
M

MrRidley

What brake pads were you using? Who set the brakes up? What is your riding style (ie: do you brake hard a lot)? Did you ever clean the pads and rims?

It sounds very unusual for two different models of rim to fail/wear that quickly...

I was using Dura Ace/105 inserts, then changed to Koolstop, i don't think i brake hard a lot there are a lot of hills round here though, and i get quite OCD about cleaning my bikes, i agree about it being unusual but they were definetly worn away.

Top Bottom