need help on choosing a new cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cousi.hill

hi there can any one advise me on changing my cassette i'am pretty new to road cycling i ride a 16 speed barracuda 12x23 39x53 which i was told that the gearing was far too high for me what i like to know is which cassette compact to buy some thing like a 13x28 and 34x50 because the hills are killing me

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll echo User3143's comments.

I use a 53-39 and a 13x24 on 8 speed but I'm pretty ok with climbing (old school that used to do 42 x 21) but I have problems now out of the saddle grinding - my left shoulder won't take it after an accident. With 8 speed you need to be a bit careful with the gear jumps, as each sprocket will need to be a fair bit bigger jump than 2 teeth on the middle cogs, and more than 3 on upper ones - if you are relatively new to the sport then forget what I'm saying, as you'll not notice the change... just 'relief'. :biggrin:

If you are really struggling, then go for compact and a bigger cassette. That looks to be my solution for long distance hilly rides.

OP
OP
C

cousi.hill

hello again people took in all your advice and purchased a 11x28 cassette fitted ok but there are some big jumps in gears and that high gear of 11 is a beauty to turn over on a flat road but but that 28 gear helps alot up hills no problem now happy chappy

02GF74

Über Member
i'am pretty new to road cycling i ride a 16 speed barracuda 12x23 39x53 which i was told that the gearing was far too high for me what i like to know is which cassette compact to buy some thing like a 13x28 and 34x50 because the hills are killing me

new to cycling - is it not a case you have not built up you cycling legs? how many miles have you cycled? 39/23 should see you able to get up most hills.

lulubel

Über Member
[QUOTE 1489390"]
Gear inches (GI) if you don't know is taking the amount of teeth on the chainset and dividing this by the number of teeth on the rear cassette and multiplying this by the size of the wheel.

Example 34/28*28=34 GI
[/quote]

I can see where the 34(small chainring)/28(large sprocket) comes from, what about the *28? When I started reading this, I assumed we were talking about a 700 wheel, so where does 28 come from?

OP
OP
C

cousi.hill

sorry if i did not make it clear i was talking about was the new cassette 11x28 and the lowest sprocket on it which is 28 which has made the hills easier

potsy

Rambler
700c wheel is 28"?

Can't agree with the comment about a 39x23 being good enough for most hills though, not everyone is a semi-pro :tongue:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The poster has an 11 - 28 rear cassette. Personally I'd have gone 13 - 28.

I can't pedal any faster on my 53 x 13.. it's the same (ish) as a 50 x 12 - so what's the point (unless you Time trial).

Good choice - you'll find the 28 a good get out of trouble card.

Don't talk to me about gears. :wacko:

I used to ride up Mow Cop/Winnats on 42 x 21 - yes it wasn't a pretty sight, and I was young :wacko:. Now it's 39 x whatever - ambulance - my left shoulder will fall off ! :wacko: :whistle: You sort of get wise as you get older, but there seems to be lots more sprockets about now.:smile:

When I got 8 speed - It was DURA ACE with 8 speed SIS - it was like DI2 then - what do you need index and 8 gears for.... :wacko: 6/7 is enough...... :biggrin:

OP
OP
C

cousi.hill

The poster has an 11 - 28 rear cassette. Personally I'd have gone 13 - 28.

I can't pedal any faster on my 53 x 13.. it's the same (ish) as a 50 x 12 - so what's the point (unless you Time trial).

Good choice - you'll find the 28 a good get out of trouble card.

Don't talk to me about gears. :wacko:

I used to ride up Mow Cop/Winnats on 42 x 21 - yes it wasn't a pretty sight, and I was young :wacko:. Now it's 39 x whatever - ambulance - my left shoulder will fall off ! :wacko: :whistle: You sort of get wise as you get older, but there seems to be lots more sprockets about now.:smile:

When I got 8 speed - It was DURA ACE with 8 speed SIS - it was like DI2 then - what do you need index and 8 gears for.... :wacko: 6/7 is enough...... :biggrin:

OP
OP
C

cousi.hill

hi here again as i said before thank you for advice about my gearing the new cassette i put on helps a great deal i can now master the hills beat me they still hurt thou . the only problem is the gears are slipping and seam to be in between gears not good going up hill. i thought it was to good to be true any ideas on this anybody

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
hi here again as i said before thank you for advice about my gearing the new cassette i put on helps a great deal i can now master the hills beat me they still hurt thou . the only problem is the gears are slipping and seam to be in between gears not good going up hill. i thought it was to good to be true any ideas on this anybody

Sounds like they're not indexed correctly. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=SkzvfCaIbyQ

Top Bottom