Need Help with brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chappy

Guru
Hi everyone I am still quite new to this so as the title says I need some help with my rear V-brakes :rolleyes: as you can see by the pictures the are lent over to the left and not straight so they keep rubbing on the rim. Excuse the naff pictures camera is not very good, as you can see the left brake is rubbing but the right side is no where near the rim. Has anyone got any ideas how to correct this.

Cheers

Chappy

walker

As I've not used Canti's for years, can you not just push it over to realign it? or is it stuck in this position?

gwhite

Über Member
First you should make sure that your wheel is central in the forks. Do this by undoing the Quick Release or Hub nuts and with your weight on the handlebars secure the wheel.
If the brakes are still off-centre then this may be remedied by screwing in the small screw seen in your photo. This should be done on the brake having the block closest to the rim. As you screw in, the block should move away from the rim. You may have to adjust the opposing screw following this to have both blocks equidistant from the rim.

It is possible of course that one of the return springs on the callipers has weakened but I'd try the adjustment above first.

OP
OP
Chappy

Chappy

Guru
Thanks for all the help guys I have just tested the and it seems that right brake arm dosnt return to its original poistion so i'm going to to assume that the spring has gone.

Chappy said:
Thanks for all the help guys I have just tested the and it seems that right brake arm dosnt return to its original poistion so i'm going to to assume that the spring has gone.

Your wheel is not in right! undo the QR or the bolts on the back wheel move the wheel over to the right. If you look at the bike from the back your tyre should be in the middle of the frame. When it is do the QR or the bolts back up then see how the brakes are looking.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Having had a spring that has gone (twice), you should be able to see the crack in the spring before it goes fully. If it hasn't gone, you should be able to use the screws to change the tension.

k-dog

The springs can often just get slack for some reason.

If you have the screws all the way in but the arms aren't out far enough then you just need to unclip the spring from behind the arm and then bend it a little more. You ideally want to have the screws half in so there's a little adjustment either way so just keep bending the spring carefully until it does that.

Making the brake nice and central with the springs well tensioned will make your brakes work beautifully.

OP
OP
Chappy

Chappy

Guru
Ok it isnt springs underneath the brake arms but long bits of wire I have screwed in the screws on both sides and this seemed to help a bit.

k-dog

Those long bits of wire are the springs - they're about 1.5mm thick and attach near the pivot of the brake.

If the screws made a little difference then just bending the springs a little will do the trick - the screws are just at the limit of their adjustability.

Replacing the arms might work - because those springs might just be more bent - but it would be about 30 seconds work adjusting the ones that are already on.

Top Bottom