Need help with flat tyres/punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Highlander Neil

I have came back to find my tyre deflated 24 hours after I replaced the inner tube.

I took it off and put it in a bucket of water with some pressure in it and squeezed it, it didnt deflate as theres no puncture as such, but there was very small volumes of air at a very slow rate coming from the seams on the rubber around the tube...

My Question is...

Is this just a poor quality inner tube or have I over pressurised the tube?

Inner tube details:

Fahrrad-schlauch Race 28 by Continental (700x18/25C) and my wheels are 23!

Would love to hear your input.

Cheers

Neil

zexel

Veteran
I had this on Continental tubes.

Have you made sure the valve itself is fully screwed into the body? I will try and find my thread.

Sorry, just re-read your post. Do you mean the leak is from the rubber around the valve?

gbb

Legendary Member
I use those tubes quite a lot, never had problems with them.
Only 2 possibilities really, you've nipped it when fitting or a dodgy innertube from manufacturing. Overpressurising the tube wouldnt ever normally be an issue unless the tyre itself wasnt seated properly, allowing the innertube to poke out.

lulubel

Über Member
Fahrrad-schlauch Race 28 by Continental (700x18/25C) and my wheels are 23!

My guess would be a faulty tube. I've had one of those do exactly the same recently, and when I put it in water, I found a very, very slow leak - had to squeeze the tube to find it - right on the seam.

Reading this thread actually gives me a small sense of satisfaction because everyone told me I MUST have pinched the tube, but I was sure I hadn't.

Edit: I use these all the time and have never had any problems before, but have had 2 different problems - this and a valve that wasn't screwed in tight - recently.

Top Bottom