Need Help With Something Your Opinions Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin0912

Current Set Up 48T Triple Crank Set Screw On Freewheel 14-28T

Wanting to change to either 42T Triple Crank Set With Rear Cassette Ratio 14-16-18-20-24T

Or Stay With A 48T and go for a 14-16-18-20-24T Ratio On Back Freewheel

Just to say i do have a bike trailer and carry loads up to 100KG in it

Many Thanks Colin

I use a program called machine head gear calculator to look at things. Looking at a 42/24 its practically the same as 48/28 in the lowest gear (45.97" as oppose to 45.03"); the 42 will be marginally harder. However you lose a lot of gear in the upper range (78.81" compared to 90.07") and hence a lot of top speed. I personally wouldn't make the change, IHTH :hello:

Edit a 48/24 would give you a 52.54" gear, only you will know if you can cope with that.

OP
OP
C

Colin0912

I use a program called machine head gear calculator to look at things. Looking at a 42/24 its practically the same as 48/28 in the lowest gear (45.97" as oppose to 45.03"); the 42 will be marginally harder. However you lose a lot of gear in the upper range (78.81" compared to 90.07") and hence a lot of top speed. I personally wouldn't make the change, IHTH :hello:

Edit a 48/24 would give you a 52.54" gear, only you will know if you can cope with that.

Well i can quite happily deal with the gears atm but im looking to get better top end speed but also so ease up steep hills a pain i know but

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Wanting to change to either 42T Triple Crank Set With Rear Cassette Ratio 14-16-18-20-24T

It is perhaps best not to second guess your motivation. Could you explain why you wish to change? Is any component worn out/not working properly? or do you want a lower gear than currently available for pulling weight? or anything else?

Furthermore, as I mentioned in your other thread, it will help with option identification if you can provide the make/model/spec of the chainset and front mech.

OP
OP
C

Colin0912

It is perhaps best not to second guess your motivation. Could you explain why you wish to change? Is any component worn out/not working properly? or do you want a lower gear than currently available for pulling weight? or anything else?

Furthermore, as I mentioned in your other thread, it will help with option identification if you can provide the make/model/spec of the chainset and front mech.

Right Im Riding a 18" Frame Appollo CX.10 Triple Shimano Crank Set 48T sorry i cant be more specific and A Shimano SiS 42T Front Mech And 14-28T Screw On Freewheel anything else you need??

OP
OP
C

Colin0912

ow sorry i didnt see else reason for the change is the bike doesnt give the speed i need plus the chain set it starting loosing its teeth it is quite aged and very well used and having issues with the front mech atm

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
From reading your other thread, I thought you have a 6 speed freewheel currently. If as it appears yours is currently a 5 speed freewheel then a 6 speed freewheel might not fit without a bit of work, see this.

The problem with a 5 speed hub is it would be difficult to find a 5 speed freewheel at a reasonable price that has a bigger range than this 13-32T. For 6/7 speed ones they are readily available, and are inexpensive, up to 34T. So that is something probably worth establishing first. If your existing freewheel only goes to 28T, a 32T or 34T will be helpful for your trailler pulling rides.

Regarding your chainset, if you can't find out what it is, and if you haven't got the tool and experience to replace it, it would be best to get your LBS to change it. As I mentioned in the other thread, you probably don't want a 42/14 high gear because it is a bit low.

As you can see from here, plenty of chainsets with a 48T large ring are available, and as I mentioned in the other thread, you need to make sure it matches the bb and delivers the right chainline.

OP
OP
C

Colin0912

From reading your other thread, I thought you have a 6 speed freewheel currently. If as it appears yours is currently a 5 speed freewheel then a 6 speed freewheel might not fit without a bit of work, see this.

The problem with a 5 speed hub is it would be difficult to find a 5 speed freewheel at a reasonable price that has a bigger range than this 13-32T. For 6/7 speed ones they are readily available, and are inexpensive, up to 34T. So that is something probably worth establishing first. If your existing freewheel only goes to 28T, a 32T or 34T will be helpful for your trailler pulling rides.

Regarding your chainset, if you can't find out what it is, and if you haven't got the tool and experience to replace it, it would be best to get your LBS to change it. As I mentioned in the other thread, you probably don't want a 42/14 high gear because it is a bit low.

As you can see from here, plenty of chainsets with a 48T large ring are available, and as I mentioned in the other thread, you need to make sure it matches the bb and delivers the right chainline.

Hello No it is definetly a 6 speed as i have bought trigger shifters and fitted them correctly so what the lowest ratio you think that would benefit?

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649
thats the rear freewheel im was considering using

This is the current front mech http://www.ebay.co.u...=item336a165a6c

Replacement Front Mech Possible http://www.ebay.co.u...=item484181d468

Ow and This Is Current Bottom Bracket But Mine Is Not a Sealed unit Its Spindle A Bearings Module Similiar to a Self Adjusting Module http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_159696_langId_-1_categoryId_210159

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
If your current freewheel is 14-28, a 14-34 will certainly make a big difference to extending your lowest gear, making it lower by over 20%.

However not all rear mechs can handle a 34T at the back, and with all chainsets. You should check with this before you commit.

Still am not sure why you wish to replace the front mech - usually front shifting is problematic due to cabling problems. That one on ebay you indicated you currently have is designed to work with a large 42T ring. The "replacement possible" is for a large 48T. It is critical that the new one is designed for your seat tube diameter.

OP
OP
C

Colin0912

If your current freewheel is 14-28, a 14-34 will certainly make a big difference to extending your lowest gear, making it lower by over 20%.

However not all rear mechs can handle a 34T at the back, and with all chainsets. You should check with this before you commit.

Still am not sure why you wish to replace the front mech - usually front shifting is problematic due to cabling problems. That one on ebay you indicated you currently have is designed to work with a large 42T ring. The "replacement possible" is for a large 48T. It is critical that the new one is designed for your seat tube diameter.

Original Rear Mech was replaced a i put the last one through my wheel while riding this is my Current http://www.halfords....tegoryId_165694

And Im Currently Running on a Large 48T Hence The Front Mech Been Improper if you need pictures ask and i will post them the new one will fit the post.

Ok my mistake bit too big for the post

My Post is 28.6 looks like that mech wont fit

Right front Mech that will fit

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=958

Top Bottom