Need Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gillard25

Right where to start,
I just got given a GT Chucker 2.0, its been used by a m8 who is really into jumpin etc, i just wanna use it to get fit and lose some weight (riding to work and back etc). back to the bike, the forks have been snapped so i need to replace them, what would u guys recommend, bearing in mind i'm a big ol' boy. Next the Pedals "wobble" i think this is because the bottom bracket is mullered. As it was being used as a Jump bike it has been converted to a single speed on the front crank, i want use it as more of a commuter so i want to put all the gears back on so i think i need to buy a crankset. Also the Front Caliper has been removed and i want to put 1 back on. so basically i'm askin what is a half decent set of forks, front caliper, Crank and bottom bracket. i've got about £150 to play with. all input greatly received, many thanks in advance
p.s. i no nothing about bikes so i hope i used all the correct terminology etc.

You can get a decent communter bike, e.g. subway 1 from halfrauds for £200, which will be much more suitable than the Gt for what you want it for...lighter, faster, etc, etc, etc...

The chucker is not designed for commuting, spending £150 trying to convert it is probably not the best idea ever...

OP
OP
G

gillard25

my route to work takes me through two fields and a wood and bein a jump bike it must be pretty strong, which is why i thought i'd try the chucker.

Moonlight

Yes, it is pretty strong, and equally pretty heavey.

Also, with your budget it would be fairly pointless upgrading the bike.
As a guide, ENTRY LEVEL components would cost such:
-Forks: £90 (half decent is going to be 200+)
-Bottom Bracket: £15
-Chain Set: £35
-From calliper + cables and pads: £23

Thats £163 + £30-60 labour is going to be £200 I think (that's what I'd charge anyhow)

The subway 1 however, is going to be in decent condition and will be a lot smoother and faster on the roads. It has a solid alu frame and fairly chunky tires, so it can handle the fields no problem. In the woods, you should have no problem as long as you aren't doing jumps.

You should have a wonder down your LBS (local bike shop) and see what they have to say, you should also ask them to quote you for the work you want done on the GT.

Hope that was of some help and welcome to the forums!

Top Bottom