Need some advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yorkshiremandie

Hi Guys

Need some advice

I started cycling with my sister last year to get fit and lose a lot of weight. Due to poor weather we have only just got back on and starting to build up our fitness again. We normally cycle on the Leeds and Liverpool canal between Leeds and Keighley. The most we have done is 26 miles.

We have decided to step up this year and complete the Great Yorkshire Bike ride. I am not worried about the distance as I have a few months to build up my fitness and stamina and lose a lot of excess weight! My worry is road cycling and do I have the correct bike for this challenge!

I have a claud butler mountain bike with front suspension. I looked at road bike but didn’t feel they could stand my weight and as a short fat person struggled with getting on and off the bike. Can I use my mountain bike for the GYBR or must I have a road bike?

The thought of cycling on the road terrifies me. The one time I tried it I was shaking so much and kept falling off the bike. Does anyone know of any quiet (and flattish) roads in Bradford/Halifax/Keighley that I can try build up my confidence?

Thanks
Mandie

rh100

Hi Mandie

At 20 stone, I've not had any problems with the bike due to that - it may wear out quicker though but fine so far! ;)

Currently I have a hybrid - which is a cross between a road bike and mountain bike, basically has the wheels of a roadie (although slightly thicker) and the handlebar's and riding position of a mountain bike.

Before that I had a mountain bike with front suspension, it was fine for the road but when pedalling hard the front would bob up and down on the suspension and so sapping the energy a bit - but I managed a near 30 mile trip one day.

As for nerves on the road - I would not recommend riding on road if you are likely to panic. How about a road riding course - maybe contact the council - it's done for all age groups and I'm sure someone on here would know more about it.

Good luck.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hi Mandie

One of the things I found difficult initially with road riding was looking over my shoulder before making a manoeuvre. Sometimes if I looked and there was something there, I wobbled. Getting a mirror to stick on the end of my right handlebar helped enormously - I can keep an eye on what is behind me without having to twist right round.

This won't solve all your fright of the road, but it may help. However, having the mirror does not remove the need to look over your shoulder properly before pulling out/turning. But it does mean that you don't need to do that until you are fairly sure it is clear.

Spinney

andyfromotley

hi mandie,

dont know much about TGYBR but i suspect your bike will be ok (if not ideal). There are toms of quit roads for you to practise on. i will pm you with some ideas, if you want i'm happy to meet up and i can get you started. It really is essential that you master that on grounds of safety.

andy

OP
OP
Y

Yorkshiremandie

Great idea - Never thought of getting a mirror as I do struggle looking behind.

I must admit it I had only been on a bike a couple of times and it was the first time out with my new bike (we were forced onto a very busy road after a friends bike pedal broke). I am more confident on the bike now and even manage to cycle with my dog running alongside. It is because I am a car driver and have seen how stupid some drivers can be with cyclist which scares me. I will makes some enquiries about road lessons.

I have noticed I get bouncy sometimes when cycling uphills but suffer with Carpal tunnel in my hands so need the suspension as support against the impact. Can't say I have noticed at speed as only average 8-12 MPH ;)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If you can, lock out the front forks and put some more road friendly tires on it, you should be fine.

But a road bike should take your weight if you want one, if you get the right size you shouldnt have trouble getting on and off of it.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Cycling gloves have padding in places that should help cushion your weight a bit. Bouncy front forks means you are wasting energy.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Mandie, there aren't many flattish roads around our end of West Yorks I'm afraid, but there are plenty of quiet ones1. Whereabouts are you?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hi mandie,

I second the idea of road training, but you can also build on that with some quiet suburban riding (assuming you live somewhere with suburbs, that is). Find a little circuit round some residential roads, and practise turning, signalling, looking round etc. A mirror will help, but it's good to try and built up your confidence with over the shoulder looks too - apart from anything else, making some kind of eye contact* with a following driver can help them to 'see' you better. (*you don't need to actually eyeball them, but if they see you looking, they know you're aware of them).

If you live in a village, you should be able to access some quiet back roads. If you get an OS Landranger map of your area, you'll be able to see the network of back roads, in yellow or white, and maybe plot a circuit that avoids the worst of the busy stuff. I'm pretty experienced on the road, but even I will avoid any A road if I can, and even B roads if possible, it's just so much more relaxing with less traffic.

I haven't done the Great Yorkshire, but from what I've heard, it's a pretty big event, so you'll have the benefit of being among lots of cyclists, safety in numbers etc.

And enjoy your training! It'll be a great acheivement, and you'll enjoy it I'm sure. :wacko:

OP
OP
Y

Yorkshiremandie

Thanks

Thanks for your advice and support. I have decided to purchase a road bike on the cycle to work scheme when it starts again in spring. I love my mountain bike and don't really want to change suspension/wheels etc. Sounds like thinner tyres and no suspension is easier - I'm all for that!:laugh:

I have signed up for a bike maintenance course and making enquiries about a road safety course as well.

I am going out on the road on Sunday morning (early!) so wish me luck! I live in Thornton so lots of quietish (but hilly) roads. It will make me fitter and hopefully easier that cycling on the muddy canal.

Thanks again
Mandie

OP
OP
Y

Yorkshiremandie

Lots of progress!!!!

Lots of progress since I bought my first bike last year.

I bought a 2nd bike with road tyres and 24 gears (in heaven!!!):laugh: and have been on roads numerous time with friends. I did a 46 mile training ride last week with my sister. The 72 charity ride is in 2 weeks!! A bit nervous but looking forward to it.:smile:

My fitness has greatly improved, lost a few stone and inches (still quite a lot to lose yet), seen some lovely things (wildlife and sites), met some lovely people, great challenge, getting out and about with friends and family, having fun and loving it!!!!

Thanks for your support

Top Bottom