Need some motivation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamman

Hi,
started cycling about just over a month ago, whilst I've been going through a bad time with feeling depressed and other health issues.

The initial excitement of cycling is wearing off and I'm being put off by silly stuff like,
feeling like I'm not improving, slowing to sluggish speeds in the wind, hills - of any nature, bumpy / bumps in roads :angry:,
shouts of abuse encouragement.

motivational cycling videos / pictures / quotes, or anything else that you think will help will be much appreciated

And for every pothole there is another and another and .....................:sad:
We all have periods of low motivation,infact the rain is lashing at the window as i write so not looking good for tommorow. I have been riding for years and the things you have said are normal.:thumbsup:
Mike.

fungus

Veteran
Rule #5
thumbsup.png

Wardy

I know what you mean about depression, but exercise is one of the best medicines you can get for it. I would encourage you to persevere with your cycling but take it easy and don't expect every cycling day to be perfect. Don't try to fight wind, just drop a cog and spin more and with hills it's ok to get off and walk a bit or even have a breather halfway up.

Glover Fan

Join a club, find some like-minded friends. Puts cycling into a whole another league, re-invigorated my love for the sport because I was getting bored as hell by myself.

Do some Audaxes/Sportives/Something crazy to aim for.

SurlyNomad

Dont worry about times,speeds improving or not. just get out there and DO IT! the natural feel good endorphines will help with the depression. I used to suffer with depression but with the help of a good Doc, wife and exercise i got through it. It wasnt easy and it didnt happen overnight but i got through it.

:thumbsup: . As for hills, who cares how slow you go? just keep them feet turning,bang it in the easiest gear if you must, I do if i have to. Were all not racing snakes, and anyway i'm built for comfort these days, not speed.
Hope you keep up with the cycling mate, maybe you just need to take a day or two off. How often do you cycle?

soulful dog

Veteran
It can be hard, but just try to remind yourself that even if you only go out and do a few miles, as long as you keep doing it fairly regularly, it will help you improve and will make you fitter.

You don't need to go out every single day, you don't need to go out and do 20+ miles & you don't need to continually beat your personal best time. They can be goals for the future, and while they would help you get fitter & faster a heck of a lot quicker, getting out and doing a few miles as often as you can will do you good. It's been a bit windy recently, but summer is on it's way, so stick with it. It might just be a shitty advertising slogan, but really.....

Every little helps!

bongofury66

This is motivational.:biggrin:

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 53

david k

Hi
nice pic, whats the thread about?lol

shorter slower rides, aim for them, b etter than stopping, enjoy the ride, go slow look around, smile. if u enjoy the ride youll want to do it more, regardless of time or distance

bongofury66

Exactly- I think you will ALWAYS feel better if you go out no matter what distance or speed. Cycling is one exercise that does take your mind off things due to the concentration required. You usually feel good about yourself too.

Top Bottom