Neighbourhood watch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Once upon a time, all the High Streets had a clock tower. Downsizing strikes again.
Expect something that you'll not get wound up about.

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
When I was a copper we were assigned to a Neighbourhood Watch area and I was fortunate enough to get one where it was taken quite keenly. I used to attend a monthly meeting at the co-ordinators house (and I even went in my own time if the meeting wasn't when I was at work!) and there would be regular faces who'd turn up and be very forthright with their views about what should and shouldn't be done, policing wise. In turn I'd be able to provide the crime statistics and let them know about any planned police activity in the area. And also drink lots of tea and eat lots of cakes. The good thing for me and them though was that we all had each others contact details (I'm going back a few years before mobile phones) so that if there was a particular problem we could try and deal with it straight away.

It depends on how much time you have on your hands, BOAB, and how much you want to get involved but when I did it I found the 'watch members to be a friendly bunch and as such they were all very keen to keep in touch and swap information. And it's an eye-opener to find out what's going on around the corner or over the road!

JamesAC

I joined our neighbourhood watch.

The best thing is a list of emails of others involved in the scheme: then if there's anything "strange" going on in the neighbourhood, word rapidly gets around.
The worst thing is that the meetings tend to gravitate towards car-centric interests; lack of parking, resistance to RPZ, wouldn't it be a good idea to turn the local streets into one-way, etc.

It doesn't take up a lot of time, really, and on balance seems to be a Good Thing. And you get to know your neighbours, too.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Our neighbours watch.... then do nothing. They are the worst kind of nosey neighbours but will never actually do anything like call the non-emergency number to report speeders because they "don't want to get involved".

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Fnaar used to do his own neighbourhood watch until the police confiscated his binoculars.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My parents are in their local NW. They seem to have a very active social life with it, in fact they are all due to go off on holiday together at some point, so I will not be revealing where Ma & Pa live !!

Always amuses me when they are all enjoying a meal round one member's house - who's left to watch out for the crims ?

Top Bottom