Never thought I'd do this

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Well I did something today I thought I never would……

There I was, in secondary on a 50mph dual carriageway. Its not a bad road, most move completely into the second to pass. Anyway as I crest the hill I can see the crossroads (with a minor road) ahead, beyond this the roadworks. Due to this the approach to the crossroads is reduced to 30mph. I notice the lights are just changing from amber to red and cars have started to stop.

So as I approach the 30mph bit I check my speed, 29mph. Check over my shoulder. Fine, a gap behind me, and move into primary. Means I’ve got 100 yards before I have to start braking.

Get to the bit where I have to brake and start to do so.

So I’m now approaching the last bit before the stood cars…..

Big Tourneo appears at my RHS and starts to pull left, into me, I have to apply the anchors to avoid being hit. I get infront, look back, “Have you heard of the highway code?”. He looks at me and with a dismissive looks indicates with his hands he left plenty of room and looks away…. Now holding your hands 2’ apart doesn’t indicate plenty of room (anyone disagree? Not that he gave me that much anyway!)

This gets repeated a couple of times, I pull the bike backwards, try his door. It opens.

He says “I left you plenty of room, I’m a cyclist” (?!!*?)

Response “Well try driving like one for a change then!”

Now at this point I was going to point out that he hadn’t left me enough room on an overtake, because he hadn’t actually carried out an overtake. He’d never got fully past me. He’d merely come alongside and used the presence of a large vehicle to intimidate me into moving to the left.

However, out of the corner of my eye, I saw the amber light go on.

He wasn’t too happy as I clipped in and cycled off.

Without shutting his door.

naughty boy! :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
whatever works for you but that'd have been crossing a line for a lot of drivers

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Tynan said:
whatever works for you but that'd have been crossing a line for a lot of drivers

Yep, I’d agree in retrospect. One of those ‘spur of the moment’ things. I guess I could tell I wasn’t going to get anywhere arguing.

Maz

Guru
Hehe - nice one, gambatte.:rolleyes:
I've only ever pulled that stunt once - albeit the hatchback of a car. I was getting a load of racial abuse from the occupants of some chavmobile I caught up with in traffic.
Mwhahaha.:rolleyes:

Plax

Guru
Yes, very naughty, what door did you leave open? Would he have had to get out of the car to close it? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Passenger side. Could tell he was pissed the way he accelerated to slam his door and with him hitting his horn as he passed me... (wide! :rolleyes: )

Naughty!:rolleyes:

I must admit I've never had the urge to open a car's door and I don't think I will be doing that any time soon. That is sure to wind the driver up further than they already are.

I can understand why it might be satisfying, but I'll stick to filming them.

Top Bottom