New alternative Trangia fuel 'Greenheat'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Brock said:
I've not come across this Greenheat stuff before, and not sure how good it is, but I'm thinking one could possibly be worth carrying as a backup for times when meths is scarce. Anyone tried them?

Rather unenlightening website for the company here:www.greenheat.co.za

It's an expensive way of carrying a spare bottle of meths :smile:

I've not had any problems getting my hands on meths in the UK or in France. If I really desperate for a meths supply, I'd buy a bottle of rum and drink the surplus.....

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

Is it expensive? 3.99 for two tins, 2 hours burn time each.. Pretty sure I've been ripped off more for meths than that before. I've ordered some anyway, I'll throw one in the bottom of a pannier along with the cous cous emergency rations.
I think I'd feel safer using that to cook in the tent porch when rained in too, less chance of flaming spillage catastrophes I guess.

I do like the rum idea though, will keep that in mind. :smile:

Brains

Legendary Member
Used Greenheat before, very good, has the advantage that you can move the flame up and down to a degree.

Also sooting is less that using (watered down) meths

Now a days I use meths or greenheat as the backup to my Trangia. Most of the time I use gas as the main source of power

Brock, make sure you've got plenty of time if you use this stuff - if you think meths is a bit slow...
We used it to boil a kettle once, and haven't used it again since, it was that bad. Possibly we had a duff, but it's put me off.

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

Stick on a Giant said:
Brock, make sure you've got plenty of time if you use this stuff - if you think meths is a bit slow...
We used it to boil a kettle once, and haven't used it again since, it was that bad. Possibly we had a duff, but it's put me off.

Ah, interesting. Well I got the twin pack delivered this morning, I'll run a Trangia kettle experiment and post results just for interest's sake.

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

Ok I've finished my unscientific experimentation, Greenheat vs Meths, let the battle commence!

The Greenheat 'fuel cell' is a tidy little thing, I'd feel fairly safe throwing an unopened one in the bottom of a pannier.
18.jpg

Eww...Icky
19.jpg

The Greenheat 'fuel cells' come with a springy ring thing that allows it to sit in the Trangia burner hole. Helpful marks on the tin show where to position the ring so as to bring the flame higher for the frying pan or lower for the pans.
20.jpg

Here it is sitting neatly in the Trangia. The gooey green slime lights very easily, at the first flick of my lighter, though you can't really see the flame here.
21.jpg

A full kettle (25 series kettle, filled to just below the spout, more than two large mugs of water) placed straight away onto the flame.
23.jpg

Some 18 minutes later the kettle was boiling, not exactly speedy as has been suggested. Ok it's more water than I'd usually boil, but you certainly couldn't call it a 'quick cuppa'.

The greenheat is extinguished with a quick blow, something you can't really do with the meths burner, and very quickly it is cool enough to replace the plastic lid, which fits tightly, but I wouldn't be so keen to throw it back into a pannier now. The green stuff looks really quite messy, I'd hate it to empty itself over my clothes. I'd probably tie it securely in a plastic bag before packing it up. As a plus the underside of the kettle is completely unsooted, which is nice. Very little of the fuel appears to have been burned.
25.jpg

Now the same procedure, same kettle (cooled) on the meths burner, unwatered meths.
26.jpg

It still seems to take an age, watched kettle and all that, but after 11 minutes the water is boiling. So as suggested, considerably quicker.

So in conclusion, Meths certainly wins as far as flame temperature, however honourable mention has to go to Greenheat for it's neat container, spill resistance, lack of soot and, apparently, more environmentally friendliness. I've no idea how it rates against meths for weight / heat output. Maybe speed of boil is less important to you than the rolling weight of your packed touring bicycle, in which case I guess more experimentation would be needed.

As a little bonus experiment, I let the meths burner cool and then boiled the same amount of water in the large pan, with frying pan lid. As I'd always suspected, this was a faster way of boiling the same amount of water than in the kettle, taking just 7 minutes.
Still, there's something comforting about having a kettle, and it's easier to pour. :angry:

vernon

Brock said:
Ok I've finished my unscientific experimentation, Greenheat vs Meths, let the battle commence!

So in conclusion, Meths certainly wins as far as flame temperature, however honourable mention has to go to Greenheat for it's neat container, spill resistance, lack of soot and, apparently, more environmentally friendliness. I've no idea how it rates against meths for weight / heat output. Maybe speed of boil is less important to you than the rolling weight of your packed touring bicycle, in which case I guess more experimentation would be needed.

Now try rum. I'm willing to drink the remainder for you :angry:

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

vernon said:
Now try rum. I'm willing to drink the remainder for you :angry:

I'm not particularly partial to rum, but if I did try it I'm sure there wouldn't be any 'remainder'... hic..
You can send me a bottle though if you like?

vernon

Brock said:
I'm not particularly partial to rum, but if I did try it I'm sure there wouldn't be any 'remainder'... hic..
You can send me a bottle though if you like?

I can happily recommend Wray and Nephew's overproof white cane spirit. It burns very well and I intimidate drinking cronies by igniting an oral spray of the stuff. It makes a pretty good fire ball.

S'pose I could squander some in a Trangia.....schurppp....belch....nahhh....

JackE

Über Member
trangia

Brock,
Noticed your small bottle of meths in the photos. As part of my work, I buy gallons of it each year in 4 ltr containers for just under £9 (inc Vat) from my local paint wholesaler. It's the cheapest way of firing up a Trangia and it will "keep" for years.

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

Yeah you're right Jack, those small bottles are a complete ripoff. That one is a leftover from a cycle tour in the summer. Isn't stashing 4 litres of the stuff at home a bit of a fire hazard?

vernon

Brock said:
Yeah you're right Jack, those small bottles are a complete ripoff. That one is a leftover from a cycle tour in the summer. Isn't stashing 4 litres of the stuff at home a bit of a fire hazard?

Shouldn't be. It's got a lower vapour pressure and a higher, lower explosive limit(lel). It's also got a higher flashpoint (14 C) than petrol (-40 C !!!) and lots of folk park 10 or so gallons of the latter stuff in garages everyday not to mention the petrol in lawn mowers, chain saws, strimmers and the gallon fuel container for the petrol driven devices....

I don't balk at keeping my overproof rum by my bedside and I'd be quite happy having four litres of it at the ready :biggrin:

Tamsinodile

Hi, can any of you tell me where I can buy the Greenfuel for my Trangia? After seeing your post Brock, I thought I'd try some out, but have scoured the net and can't find a stockist! Where did you get yours from?

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

Hi Tamsinodile, I've just scoured the net and can't find any either. I guess it's died a death. Shame because I kind of liked it. I think I got mine from Amazon, but can't remember exactly.
Back to the meths then xx(

Top Bottom