New bike advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

just4fun

Hiya, i need some new help but im bamboozled.

i will be cycling 20miles a day once my work moves location.
with a stretched budget of £900
and will be cycling on pot hole riddled london roads.
i will have a bag weighing 2-3 Kg.
Also the bike will be locked to some railings at work but on pavement.

advice on bike style and and recommendations welcome please

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
You are probably looking at getting something like http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/globe-comp-2008-hybrid-bike-ec001474?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle. Well within budget, a great brand and highly upgradable / adaptable if your riding requirements alter or expand.

RedBike

Also the bike will be locked to some railings at work but on pavement.
A £900 bike probably wont stay locked there for long!

I would go for an old touring bike or a 700c wheeled hybrid. Something you can put a rack and full length mud-guards on.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'd be tempted to go for angelfishsolo's spending about half of it. Get a good lock and try and rotate where it's parked.

OP
OP
J

just4fun

Im sure it would be a worry for me all day to leave any bike locked up where it will be let alone an expensive one. I had my bike stolen from home 2 days before christmas just gone. As it stands, work are happy for me to bring the bike into the office although this will change when i move.
At the moment I ride a giant 'yukon' with panniers and road slicks which suits me on the short commute and also held up well on the cycling holiday i went on 2 years ago. As im repeating the tip in the summer RBs suggestion might kill 2 birds with one stone.

Top Bottom