New bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

New bike advice - now bought

Hi all,

I've spent a happy couple of hours this morning visiting a few bike shops in the area (well, some not that near actually!) as I'm in the market for a new road bike.

Most of my rides are >60 miles, and at this time of year I'm doing 80 - 120 mile rides. I live on the Wirral so most of my rides are either into Cheshire or North Wales.

I had a look at some rather nice Litespeed titanium bikes (love the longevity aspect), some Trek Madones, also some Specialized (Tarmac and Roubaix) and finally from left of field, my LBS point me to a Pinarello FP5 with a discount of £300 (with the option of 0% for 24 months ;) ). I'd never considered a Pinarello before, nice looking bike and finished in mostly Dura Ace with a smattering of Ultegra (just the brakes but not the levers which are Dura Ace). It has carbon cranks from Pinarello's own brand make 'MOST'.

Anyone have any thoughts of Pinarello? My budget is ITRO £2300, but the FP5 is priced at £1875.

Cheers,
Dave.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Moston cycles in north manchester have got a Pristine, low mileage Pinarello gallileo with full 08 ultegra 10 and quality handbuilts for ~ £900 in a 56. May be a little less than you was looking to spend but, if I had £900 spare, it would be mine. moston cycles 0161 681 0945. Ian's a decent bloke.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Thanks Dan, I reckon a 56 would be on the small side for me, I'm 6ft 2". Good price though!

Dave.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
With that budget there are plenty of options and I think it would be worth shopping around a bit more. Cervello seem to be highly rated.

Do the Pinarellos still have the kinky forks and seat stays? I always thought that was a detail that was going to 'date' pretty quickly.

I trip up to Hewitts (south of Preston) would get you loads of choice and a fitting service. You only want to buy that sort of dream bike once!

I think for your rides and that budget I would be favouring titanium. You could discuss with Paul the Litespeed / Enigma / Van Nic tradeoffs as he deals with them all.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Thanks Tim, sounds like it's worth a trip up to Preston to see Litespeed, Enigma and Van N under one roof!
Another to add to the mix is the Giant TCR C1. I've had 3 Giant road bikes on the trot - Giant CFR2, Giant TCR2 and now another TCR2. No problems with any of them, and I love the compact frame design (I'm from a mountain bike background, perhaps that's the reason). My current TCR2 is an aluminium frame, it'd be interesting to see what the latest carbon frames are like to ride from Giant.

Edit, yes the Pinarellos have the kinks in the stays and fork, bit of a marmite design that I think.

Dave.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
sounds like it's worth a trip up to (actually) Leyland
If you're thinking about a fitting, make sure you make an appointment.

Also remember to ask Paul specific questions:
1 - I have £2300 and do this type of riding - what would you recommend?
2 - Which are better - LS, Van Nic or Enigma?
3 - What's the best value bike for hilly day rides?
4 - I want a compact frame - what do you have?

All these might get you a different answer! So i make sure you ask the right question, or more importantly, if you don't actually care about some detail (type of groupset, frame geometry, etc) then make sure you don't limit your choices by specifying something that's not really set in stone.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Disgruntled Goat said:
Ride and then decide (don't listen to what anyone else says).

A bike will find you as much as you find it.

Yep, the same advice I've given others plenty of times. I have a shortlist, but was trying to eke out some specific info such as "avoid Pinarello because of problem 'x'" or "Litespeed have an issue with 'y'".

Thanks for all the sensible advice :biggrin:

Dave.

Van Nick

If you're considering Litespeed, have you read the now infamous "Good old titanium - strong as cardboard" thread on BikeRadar ?

See link below.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/vie...s=0&postorder=asc&highlight=litespeed&start=0

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Bump.

I'm back to looking for a road bike. Anyone have any experiences or opinions of Merlin bikes (the American ones, not those from that shop of the same name :blush: )?

Dave.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Just been to a fairly local bike shop, he offered me a Terry Dolan Hercules with Ultegra SL and Shimano Ultegra wheels for £1150.

That's a great price, a bit tempted by that despite the fact I was originally looking to spend a lot more.

Dave.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Now gone for the Dolan (carbon) with Ultegra SL, some nice Xero Carbon (wrap) wheels and carbon bars and stem. Should be here for next weekend :biggrin:

Dave.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
Why not consider a classic vintage used lightweight. The build quality of the old steel bikes was superb, and they look and ride much better than new bikes.

Top Bottom