New bike - Bianchi Via Nirone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
Took delivery of my Via Nirone last night. A very exciting moment, as I have been pottering about on my Spesh Rockhopper (YOM 1995), which I thought was not too bad, but after my exploratory ride on the Bianchi last night, very quickly realised it's deffo a BSO now.

This is my first road bike since I was a teenager, and my God has the game moved on!

I had some apprehension about going clipless because EVERYONE I know has had a clipless moment at some (early) point in their acclimatisation phase. I reckon I got some kind of a record with mine though. After practicing for a few minutes while stationary, I reckoned it was pretty straightforward and took off on a little pootle down a quiet street around the back of my house. I got about a 100 yards in when at a narrow section, a very nice lady driveer came hammering down the lane the other way, overtaking parked cars and seemingly totally oblivious of my presence on the road aimed straight at me. My only way to avoid impact was to head for the pavement, pronto, but struggling as I was to unclip one foot, I also tried to brake at the same time - and lo and behold - the brakes on the Bianchi actually work, in rather stark contrast to my BSO - I only snatched at the front brake as the said car was approaching fast, with the same force that would have resulted in a small speed reduction on my BSO - and achieved a spectacular dismount over the handlebars, with the bike following behind me. Am not altogether sure what happened during my landing, but I ended up standing on my feet, with just the tiniest road rash on the palms of my hands, and no damage to my bare knees. Must have achieved pedal dismount in mid flight, as the bike was lying on the floor behind me, and some kind of a somersault, via my hands, and straight back onto my feet. As you can imagine I was horrified at the pottential damage to my beautiful bike, but upon inspection the only damage was a scrape to the handlebar tape. Miraculous. Kind lady made sure I was all right by driving off at full speed. I am actually not sure she even registered my presence.

The rest of my test ride went smoothly, I covered cca 15 miles in total, averaging about 16 mph. The bike is a total revelation, the acceleration, the smoothness, the manouvreability. Immense. I love the way this bike rides, and am really happy to have finally taken the plunge. Not to mention the fact that it is so very very beautiful. I knew I was onto a winner when I unloaded the bike and my GF exclaimed ''Sex on wheels!''

Big ride planned for tomorrow, 50 odd miles, and the Bianchi will become my primary commuter from next week, so it will be interesting how it shapes up against the BSO. I plan to revisit this thread with updates, and observations.

Clipless now holds no fears, all feels easy and smooth, and boy what a difference it makes to transition of power!

twozeronine

Fellow Via Nirone owner here, and I concur on its beauty. :smile: Which groupset did you get (Tiagra, Voloce etc.)?

Not a nice way to start your first ride on it. :angry: As you said, most people have moments when they first go clipless. After using them for a while it will become second nature to unclip when you need to stop, and you'll barely need to think about doing it.

Enjoy your bike! :biggrin:

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Fellow Via Nirone owner here, and I concur on its beauty. :smile: Which groupset did you get (Tiagra, Voloce etc.)?

Not a nice way to start your first ride on it. :angry: As you said, most people have moments when they first go clipless. After using them for a while it will become second nature to unclip when you need to stop, and you'll barely need to think about doing it.

Enjoy your bike! :biggrin:

It's got the Campagnolo Xenon. The frame is a keeper, the rest will get upgraded over time I suspect. Starting with the wheelset.

I kind of felt like I didn't need to think about unclipping by the end of my ride last night. I had not fallen off a bike in 15 years (not counting occasional MTB spill), so last night was a bit of a wake up call. And clipless were really only a minor contribution to the incident.

Thanks for your well wishes, and likewise to yourself! What is yours equipped with, and are you planning any upgrades?

Rebel Ian

A beautiful bike and indeed it is "sex on wheels"! Don't worry about the clipless moment, I had one the day I got my Bianchi at home in the lounge straight into the Christmas tree!!

Re wheelset I had to upgrade mine (due to some numpty running me over) and now run Campag Sciroccos. Would definitely recommend them. If yours has Vittoria Zaffiro tyres I'd get them off straight away. I ran for 1200 miles without a flat but the new Contis I've got are so much faster.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
A beautiful bike and indeed it is "sex on wheels"! Don't worry about the clipless moment, I had one the day I got my Bianchi at home in the lounge straight into the Christmas tree!!

Re wheelset I had to upgrade mine (due to some numpty running me over) and now run Campag Sciroccos. Would definitely recommend them. If yours has Vittoria Zaffiro tyres I'd get them off straight away. I ran for 1200 miles without a flat but the new Contis I've got are so much faster.

Yup Zaffiros!

Am thinking about changing, but might feel wasteful changing straight away. I figure I need to get a few hundred miles on them first, and kinda think of it as a training process.

Well done on hitting the Christmas tree, that deffo beats my record!

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
What do you find is the problem with these?

p.s. slightly envious, gorgeous bike!

They are a low end tyre, so fairly mediocre in performance. Ian has just changed his, and reckons his average mph has shot up by a massive 1.5 mph. (there's another thread on it)

By extension I am gratefully accepting your envy :biggrin: . It is indeed gorgeous, I LOVE it!

Mine is the 2011 model and has a different colour scheme to Ian's

see here

I think both look lovely.

twozeronine

Thanks for your well wishes, and likewise to yourself! What is yours equipped with, and are you planning any upgrades?

I've got the Shimano 105/Ultegra mix. Like yourself I'll probably do a wheel upgrade at some point, but I've been spending way too much on stuff lately that it can wait. :tongue:

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
I've got the Shimano 105/Ultegra mix. Like yourself I'll probably do a wheel upgrade at some point, but I've been spending way too much on stuff lately that it can wait. :tongue:

Nice!

When/If I upgrade my gearset it will most likely be Campagnolo Veloce - much to my surprise being a Bianchi owner has turned me into bit of a Italian component nut.

Totally feeling your point on the ''spending too much'' angle.

twozeronine

Haha yeah, for some reason you do feel like anything you buy for it must be Italian, otherwise it's like wearing odd socks or something. :tongue: Having said that, I'm very happy with my Shimano groupset. :smile:

Nice colour scheme on your bike, by the way!

chris-s

I found the zaffiro tyres to be very good, never had a puncture, road all winter on all sorts of potholed surfaces. mind you I had nothing to compare them against when I got by Nirone last summer. I only changed them recently because I fancied something a bit lighter/sportier. I now have Schwalbe Ultremo R1's and there is a discernable difference between them, tho I don't think I would have noticed this if I'd changed them when i first got the bike.

I got the Tiagra gear option, can't fault it, love it, so much that I've decided to take it on a little tour to Paris in July as well (never been on a cycling tour before).

Chris

Rebel Ian

What do you find is the problem with these?

p.s. slightly envious, gorgeous bike!

No problem in terms of durability. Low end tyre they may be but I managed 1200 miles without a flat. I just find the tyres I have on there now are dramatically faster.

gbb

Legendary Member
Well, if you're determined to spend, the wheels do make a difference. Having had 2 Via Nirones (my current ones a 2009 Xenon) i found the wheels bombproof, actually the only thing thats failed has been the Omega BB. I think mine had Contis on that were prone to punctures.
But anyway, wheels...i find new wheels (on a whim, not because there was anything wrong with the originals)are not particually free running, they take time to free up. Just fitted fulcrum racing 5s to mine...and they didnt run freely either. They need a little time. I got impatient and fitted low friction bearings...the difference is immediate.
What fork is fitted to yours VamP ?. The full carbon fork is extraordinarily light.

Good rock solid, beautiful bike. I dont see me buying anything different.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Well, if you're determined to spend, the wheels do make a difference. Having had 2 Via Nirones (my current ones a 2009 Xenon) i found the wheels bombproof, actually the only thing thats failed has been the Omega BB. I think mine had Contis on that were prone to punctures.
But anyway, wheels...i find new wheels (on a whim, not because there was anything wrong with the originals)are not particually free running, they take time to free up. Just fitted fulcrum racing 5s to mine...and they didnt run freely either. They need a little time. I got impatient and fitted low friction bearings...the difference is immediate.
What fork is fitted to yours VamP ?. The full carbon fork is extraordinarily light.

Good rock solid, beautiful bike. I dont see me buying anything different.

The fork is carbon with alu steerer. Not sure what weight it is, but it is exceedingly comfortable over rough roads.

Top Bottom