New bike, first CX race... tips please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pij1979

Evening all, after a rubbish few months for various reasons, inclding my bikes (XC mtb, new cx) being nicked things are finally on the up as my first new bike arrived today. Its an 09 Kona Jake picked up at a bargain price and I now have my first ever CX race on Sunday.

Coming from an mtb background, though having done a fair bit of road this year, and being a pretty technically competent rider, I asume I will get around in one peice. I am really just doing it for fun/fitnes/ a laugh with some mates.

Unfortunately that competetive streak is niggling and I am after any sneaky tips/ advice or hints to help me beat the other mates who are also doing it (for the first time). Also any general advice on protocols etc would be gratefully received.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
tyre pressure! keep it as low as poss.

mr-marty-martin

erm unless the course isnt a mud bog, then low as poss is not allways the best way

get there early and make sure you ride the course a few times, that means you will get a decent warm up if you dont want to go as far to warming up on rollers or a turbo trainer

before the race ask someone who looks like they no what there doing what tyre pressures there using,

enjoy it and go with the flow!

oh and lots of spair clothing as it can get muddy, nout worse that remembering you've forgoten fresh socks, under-wear etc

OP
OP
P

pij1979

Cheers chaps. Ive still got the schwable racing ralphs off the stolen bike and the new one has conti speed king, which are better?

Just finished building the new bike up so out tomorrow tweaking the set up.

I think mud is likely. Though I am used to it from xc runing days and mtb dh racing days.

I am assuming it is best to watch the dash for the first corner from a safe distance, though im not afraid to attack technical downhill and maybe try to gain a few places mid race, I think I will flag towards the end through lack of bike fitness after mine being nicked.

Is it neceesary to carry fluids etc given how short it is? What is this I hear about service areas and pit stops?

mr-marty-martin

i would say the racing ralphs are better, those conti speed kings look like they'll be nasty if it rains

well basicly, in the big races, or well organised local races there will be a pitlane ( which can be entered 2 times during a lap if it's a national leval type one )
the top people when it get's realy muddy will be swapping to clean bikes every lap etc

most people just have a spair set of wheels incase of a puncture, but again alot do not.

if it's your first cross race i'd use a bottle, hard to cary on the bike so if someone you no is watching give it to them and ask for a drink when you pass if you need it.

check your aloud to take drinks as stupid as it sounds some cross races do not aloud feeding, although i assume you would be aloud to carry a bottle on your bike or in your back pocket?

trio25

Über Member
Have fun! I turned up to my first on my mountain bike with no idea, everyone was really friendly!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
In all likelihood it will be a mud bog.

You probably won't even think about drinking during the race- I never do anyway.

trio25

Über Member
No I don't drink during a race. Last year OH passed me a bottle once or twice a lap but that wasn#t allowed this year so I didn't bother. An hour is so short its fine!

Blott's Mate

Handing drinks not allowed in our league & a bottle cage gets in the way when you lift the bike. My tip would be go to look & learn & don't worry about placing. If you do well that would be a bonus. Same as XC running don't go out hell for leather & crash & burn. Start sensibly & reel them in. Much more energising to overtake than to be overtaken. Have fun!

jpembroke

[quote name='Blott's Mate']Handing drinks not allowed in our league & a bottle cage gets in the way when you lift the bike. My tip would be go to look & learn & don't worry about placing. If you do well that would be a bonus. Same as XC running don't go out hell for leather & crash & burn. Start sensibly & reel them in. Much more energising to overtake than to be overtaken. Have fun![/QUOTE]

I agree to a point, but it can be difficult to close gaps and overtake in 'cross. If you want to get a good place you really do need to gun it at the start, then consolidate your position.

Top Bottom