New bike, or no new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jayaly

• Thirteen year old has enjoyed kicking around on bikes with his friends so much this summer that he is talking seriously about riding to school on his bike. 3 miles each way, with a reasonably substantial hill on the way home.
  • He has a heavy, full suspension BSO with knobbly tyres. Definitely not ideal, but:
  • I have just discovered that he has completely destroyed the back tyre in the space of the summer holiday, confessing when pressed that it "might be down to the skids".

Should I invest in a better bike for the school commute, or take the line that he and the BSO deserve each other for the time being, until he proves he's in it for the long haul and would treat a better bike with some respect?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Maybe give it until the end of the term, and then if he sticks at it, that's Christmas sorted.

OP
OP
Jayaly

Jayaly

Good thought, although slightly nicer to him than I was to myself. I did a year on a beater to prove to myself that I deserved something better. :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Skids are cool.
HeHe i seemed to always manage to skid on the same point on the tyre, it was down to the carcass in just one spot .

Back to the OP , make it mechanically sound , new tyres , etc and make sure he knows what to do and carry spares for a puncture etc and see if he carries on or as the weather turns how long it lasts and if he is serious go from there.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Re-build/service the one he's riding now and like others have said "that's Christmas pressie sorted".

Top Bottom