New Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Eighth Man

My bike lost its life yesterday in an accident on the way to work, it was a full on road bike but I intend to replace it with a crosser or a tourer. I have been looking at the following:

Revolution Cross Sport
Revolution Country Explorer
Dawes Horizon
Dawes X Edge

Has anybody got one of these that they use to commute on? I like the idea of a crosser but I will need to add guards and rack and the tourers come with them already fitted but have triple chain rings and I am not a fan of triple chain rings.

My Country Explorer is my everyday bike for commuting or day rides. You might find the Country Explorer a bit slower and "clunky" for commuting going on your preference for double rings, I plumped for it because I do often carry heavily laden panniers uphill so wanted something sturdy, low geared but faster than an MTB and so it suits me fine. But if I jump on the road bike the difference is noticeable.

If you never carry much, then the tourer may not be right for you

Hope you have done all the reporting bit and the Police are looking into it for you. As to bikes I ride a Dawes Horizion and find it an exellent ride, it comes with a rear rack and braze-on's for mounting a front rack if you intend to use it for extended touring. Also if you are short in the leg like myself then the frame size goes down to 16.5"/42cm although I managed to get away with a 19"/48cm frame. There is picture of it in my gallery.

Edit: Just checked thier website and it would seem that the 16.5"/42cm size has been dropped from the line up.

Unfit Fifer

I had a Rev Cross sport - moved it on after 6 days!!!

Was just too similar to my hybrid and I found it rather uncomfy and slow for commuting. If you do a mix of taramc and offroad then it could be ideal but if you are more road based I would advise to walk away from the Rev.

lmow20

If it ain't titanium, it's not that cool.
[font="'Courier New"]Hey number 8[/font]
[font="'Courier New"]
[/font]
[font="'Courier New"]If you got the dosh, the perfect bike is a sportive, specifically a titanium one (hellova biased, just bought one)[/font]
[font="'Courier New"]
[/font]
[font="'Courier New"]- lifetime warranty[/font]
[font="'Courier New"]- improved absorption[/font]
[font="'Courier New"]- no paint, no rust[/font]
[font="'Courier New"]- pannier racks[/font]
[font="'Courier New"]- club-level race geometry[/font]
[font="'Courier New"]- limited space for mudguards[/font]
[font="'Courier New"]
[/font]
[font="'Courier New"]By all means, a ti cyclocross has the qualities of a cx bike. Consider it. [/font]

Top Bottom