New Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
Been looking for a while for something to get me round town, so when my LBS (the bike factory) in Chester had a Spec Globe Roll 1 in stock that fitted me for £349 I had to have it, gonna go with the freewheel to start with then when Im feeling brave will switch the wheel to fixed gear, should be a lot of fun too!!!

Good luck with it Sean. i'm still waiting for the 'fixie courage' to kick in myself, but I love singlespeeds and can't see myself hurrying back to gears for daily use.

OP
OP
sean8997

sean8997

I do also have a Cyclocross bike which is my fitness bike so wont be going single speed all the way, just been out to the shops on my new bike, didnt realise how much acceleration you can get out of these beauties, ideal town bike me thinks, next stop is to get it registered etc. Just one question though what pedals are favourable? are toe straps the way to go?

OP
OP
sean8997

sean8997

P3120074.JPG

D

Deleted member 1258

Just one question though what pedals are favourable? are toe straps the way to go?

Its your choice, straps or clipless its entirely up to you. I've got double straps on my fixed and clipless on my geared bike.

jim55

Guru
i really find it hard to get into toeclips when the cranks are moving (on the fixed ),iv got spds on the fixed and just reg clips on the geared ,but im getting another pair of clipless for the geared as well ,iv tried a few combos and for me ,its spds(clipless )all round

D

Deleted member 1258

i really find it hard to get into toeclips when the cranks are moving (on the fixed ),iv got spds on the fixed and just reg clips on the geared ,but im getting another pair of clipless for the geared as well ,iv tried a few combos and for me ,its spds(clipless )all round

I must admit to having no problems using straps and I prefer them to clipless, but I have been using straps for over 25 years.

jim55

Guru
i think id prefer straps on the fixed for ease of release when commuting but i cant get them flipped and my feet in so i just end up riding with one foot in and the other on the flat while the clip is scraping along the ground !!!i wore through the hard plastic loop doing this as i thought i just need to practice ,,iv gave up as the clips are goosed now:blush: (on one side )lol

OP
OP
sean8997

sean8997

Not really wanting to go clipless on this bike as its gonna be my get around town bike/shopping hack

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Not really wanting to go clipless on this bike as its gonna be my get around town bike/shopping hack

Yeah - that's what I thought too! 1700 miles later it's the bike I automatically reach for unless I'm going off-road or into Wales. I put SPDs on mine and I can't really imagine riding it any other way - you don't want your feet coming off the pedals when you're riding fixed.

Top Bottom