New cassette and chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After weeks of clunky changes and "auto-changes" and banged shins (it developed a mind of its own) I changed the cassette and chain the other day (am well proud of mesen :biggrin:)

anyway, the difference is a-maz-ing! I'm well happy BUT not 100% happy. The front derailleur is showing it all up now, front changes are bad and the chain's been off a couple of times and no amount of readjusting has got it just-right.

Should I change the chainset as well? Or maybe the mech itself? They're not too dear, I notice (derailleurs), but changing it scares me - is it easy? I see just one allen key bolt holding it on the down tube.

I don't think I tackle the chainset myself (lack of tools) so would I (a technical numbty) be able to do either job? Should I bother?

I even considered going single speed at the front - do away with the front mech; what about that for an option?

Opinions and advice please

ta

gbb

Legendary Member
Changing the chainrings is straightforward enough MC, all you need is the right size allenkey and maybe a broad bladed screwdriver. Sometimes, just the allen key is enough. You dont need to take the cranks off, undo the chainrings and manoever them over the cranks, reverse the procedure to fit the new ones.
When fitting new ones, do the inner first, make sure its the right way round, sit it on the crank spiders, fit the outer, then fit the bolts and backnuts. Again, when tightening the bolts, you'll probably just need the allenkey. The backnuts (with the slots) often tighten without the need for a proper tool or broad screwdriver.
A new derailleur won't likely solve the problem, although yours could be out of adjustment...was it ok before ? If it was, dont play with the settings.

OP
OP
MossCommuter
Changing the chainrings is straightforward enough MC, all you need is the right size allenkey and maybe a broad bladed screwdriver. Sometimes, just the allen key is enough. You dont need to take the cranks off, undo the chainrings and manoever them over the cranks, reverse the procedure to fit the new ones.
A new derailleur won't likely solve the problem, although yours could be out of adjustment...was it ok before ? If it was, dont play with the settings.

It was never perfect to be honest and anyway, it's too late, I fiddled :S

I just can't get it on the big ring. It either won't go up there but then the teeniest adjustment on the cable adjuster and it throws the chain over the top. Very frustrating. I also think the front derailleur looks like it could do with replacing (the spring is rusted up).

I also think it's slipping over the teeth on the middle ring too (basically, that's the only one I use except in the extreme).

I had assumed that the cranks had to come off, hence my hesitation - I'll take another look at it and have a harder think. Thanks!

potsy

Rambler
Sounds like a set up problem especially if it was Ok before, once you start adjusting things it can quickly get very complicated unless you do it very carefully.
I fitted a new cassette and chain last week, but I'm still getting a bit of a clanking sound when I set off from standing start, only happens every so often so I think it;s the chainring that's worn, have ordered a new one for £10.

I took the cranks off when I put a new granny ring on, maybe I didn't need to? :blush:

frank9755

Cyclist
It sounds like your middle ring is worn.

As a chainring wears the spaces get bigger as the teeth get worn away. As a chain wears, the spaces between the links also get bigger. So an old chain on a worn chainring can be ok, but if you put a new chain on, it has smaller spacing so shows up the worn chainring and is not ok.

You may be able to replace it by unbolting and sliding it out, or you may end up having to take the chainset off to do it. To be honest it usually ends up being easier / quicker to do it if you take them off (a bike shop would generally do this). It's not hard to take the chainset off but you do need the right tools - which depend on what type you have. It's not really harder than, say, changing the cassette. Post a picture or a description and someone will tell you what tools you need.

It should be changed as soon as possible though, as it will wear your new chain out more quickly / in a bad way!

OP
OP
MossCommuter
thanks everyone.

Going with the "it's a set-up problem" opinion (the chainring doesn't look worn like the cassette did) I readjusted the front derailleur, really took my time this time and lubed the mechanism. It seems to be good now - as good as it ever was anyway.

Top Bottom