New Club - North Cheshire Clarion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's a new club starting up in North Cheshire, I went out with Giles the secretary yesterday and he seems a decent bloke.
I volunteered that I'd post something about the club on here - he's posted on BikeRadar and that's generating quite a bit of interest

The club is centred on Warrington, but with a focus on the whole of the North Cheshire area including Widnes and Runcorn in the west, the suburbs of south and west Manchester and the area south of Wigan.

The club aim is simple - to enjoy the full spectrum of cycling activities from the recreational through to the competitive, both on and off the road - Sportive, Road Racing, Mountain Biking, Triathlon, Time Trial, Audax and Track, but with a balance of enjoyment and competition without the pressure of a pure 'racing' club.

http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

garrilla

Will it have the 'clarion' spririt and be part of the national Clarion network?

clarion-cycling-club-header-_402x193.gif
http://www.wcml.org.uk/silo/images/clarion-cycling-club-header-_402x193.gif

Attachments

• clarion-cycling-club-header-_402x193.gif
    25.7 KB · Views: 26

Jonathan M

Interested. Getting to the start point might be a bit of a pain for me though, I'd probably have done maybe 20 miles before the ride has started, but the "informal" rides on the saturday might be right for me.

Andy, do you know where those saturday rides meet, and what sort of pace/distance they cover? I'm trying to get back into things after quite a serious illness, and the lack of riding for 6 months combined with the unwanted side effect of one of my meds (weight gain) means that I am finding ti really difficult to get back into it, but wouldn't want to join a speed orientated club where I may be left for dead in the middle of an area that I don't know.

I live up near Whiston Hospital, so Widnes isn't that far away, do you know if any rides start from the widnes area before heading into the Cheshire lanes?

garrilla said:
Will it have the 'clarion' spririt and be part of the national Clarion network?

Yes, Giles has it affiliated into the National Clarion, which means that lots of the infrastructure required in setting-up a new club, affiliating to British Cyclcling & CTT, etc is already sorted-out.

Attachments

• clarion-cycling-club-header-_402x193.gif
    25.7 KB · Views: 26

bigjim

Legendary Member
but wouldn't want to join a speed orientated club where I may be left for dead in the middle of an area that I don't know.
Looks speed orientated. Probably better for you to look at CTC rides which are in the main more gentle. Although there are some all out speed merchants in my local one.

NthChesClarion

Jonathan M,

One of the key things we're trying to do is be inclusive - so 'leaving people for dead' isn't an option! We're just getting things going - but a couple of guys have al;ready expressed interest from Runcon and Widnes, so there might be an option to get something going locally under our banner and then think about liking rides etc. Nothing is cast in stone! We've got our first club meeting next week - join us if you can.

Kind regards

Giles Perkins
Secretary

North Cheshire Clarion

http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk

Jonathan M

Thanks Giles, i probably wouldn't be able to get to the meetings, but if a subgroup towards the west of the district forms then I'd probably be interested in joining them on some rides.

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
I am St Helens based and would be interested but also have some concerns about speed also as have done almost nothing for over a year really and am just concentrating on getting fit.

Jonathan M

Well, I'm down in Prescot, so not a million miles away. I suppose if we thought on, at least there could be two of us getting lost in the lanes of Cheshire......

Beaker39

Is anybody turning up this Sunday

Is anybody turning up for the "turn up & ride" at the Cat & lion tomorrow from the road riders?

Don't want to go on my own I will only get lost!

Top Bottom