New commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
At my workplace, we usually get a surge in cycle commuters from April to late September.

Then they all disappear from October onwards with varying excuses, leaving a few diehards.

But, I've noticed a surge in new commuters since the return to work at the start of this month.

Not only that, I've seen more commuters on the roads too.

New year's resolutions? Austere times? Have they been bitten by the VAT rise? or are simply losing the Christmas flab.

I don't get it!

Have you seen new commuters since 2011 started?

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
I've seen a fair increase in the number of people on BSO's with hi-viz donkey jackets and no lights. I think tightening of the purse strings along with the petrol hike has a lot to do with it.

400bhp

Guru
I've seen a perceived increase on the roads around S Manchester. That could be because I'm more aware of them though?

I'd always say if you can start cycling in the winter months and get through it you will cycle forever.

BSRU

A Human Being
I have noticed more since the "warmer" weather started, will be interesting to see if that continues when the cold weather comes back tomorrow.

As petrol becomes more expensive I expect to see more and more, especially as Swindon is not that big and has lots of shared cycle/pedestrian paths for people who do not want to use the road.

AideyM

There has been an increase in commuters on my route to Brum. Also noted is the increase in shiny posh bikes rather than the usual commuting stuff. Having said that I came in on posh bike today after tagging a few miles extra on to the route in

Woz!

Don't think I saw ANY bikes...actually, I saw just one, on my disasterous 26 mile round trip commute yesterday.
Documented in another thread, but I'll not be commuting for another few weeks until my route is less of a swamp!

Mad at urage

Well I'm a new commuter since January! Why, err... I moved in December to a house where working from home is less easy (IT worker) and 'luckily' :rolleyes: it is 8.7 miles from a suitable office, oh and I was missing the cycle-commute after three years working from home.

January hasn't been a bad month for commuting, pleasantly cool in fact (Cardiff area).

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I started commuting to work by bike as a New Year's resolution last January
smile.gif

There are a couple more bikes parked in my rack at work since Christmas, but that may be due to the long car queues at the gates now that the police have upped their inspections on cars entering the site.

ohnovino

Large Member
There's been a large increase since New Year in the number of people in my work who are planning to start commuting by bike.

It's still just me though :whistle:

We have also seen a very early increase in commuters at work.
I put it down to the recent warm spell making people think it is spring already.

They'll be gone again when the weather gets cold again next week.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Not only that, I've seen more commuters on the roads too.

New year's resolutions? Austere times? Have they been bitten by the VAT rise? or are simply losing the Christmas flab.

I don't get it!

Have you seen new commuters since 2011 started?

The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. I just wish some of them around here were a bit friendlier. Would be nice to have a mardle every now and then but no one here seems interested. :sad:

I have noticed the bike racks at work a bit busier of late. I wish the newbies would stop parking their bikes back to front as the stands are so close together, it means it's hard to park your bike for handlebars!

Top Bottom