New commuting bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My commute is about to double to 25 miles round trip so I'm thinking of getting a new fast bombproof commuter bike. Journey is mostly fast country roads with a mile or so of town at the end and one hill in the middle. The ideal bike will be hub geared, disc brakes and drop bars so looking at the On-One Pompetamine Versa 11 speed which seems to be the only one that meets that spec. other than the Genesis Day 01 which is quite a bit more expensive. Have I missed any bikes and any thoughts on the Pompetamine v Genesis?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I'm having exactly the same thoughts.
No, can't find anything other than the two bikes mentioned.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I would avoid the 2011 day 01. big problems with the brakes.
If you want dropped with disc brakes, the only real option is avid bb7's. anything else is just rubbish

Matty

I would heartedly recommend my Cotic Roadrat, which can be specced with drops and hub gears I believe. I run it singlespeed with discs. It's a brill machine.

avsd

Guru
Have you considered the Dawes Mono. There is a thread started by shoelaces.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/so-i-may-have-just-bought-a-new-bike.90162/#post-1616924

He got his at £290 which leaves ample budget for upgrading the wheels from some like Spacycles. I have one for my commute (18 miles) and I find it comfortable and easy to look after. It was easy to fit a rack to - just needed a couple of clips. I also fitted a dynohub on the front and I am now looking to upgrade the rear wheel.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Know someone who has the Genesis Day 01 Alfine and loves it. Highly recommended. I think that they've solved the brakes problems now.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Yes, that is interesting. I had looked at Milk but didn't realise they did a drop bar option. Might pop down and try one out. Thanks.

If you download the price guide, it has the customisation options in there, and one of the options is for drops.
It's definitely on my shortlist for a new commuter next year. Practically bombproof!

Spartacus

Veteran
I'm really happy with my Pompetamine Versa Pro 11 as a commute bike. I've put my own comments under that road.cc review. I've had mine almost a year now and it fits your 'bombproof' category rather well in my opinion. I am glad it's not my only bike, as it is nice to whizz along on some carbon goodness when the weather allows. The Pomp is great for winter and load lugging though. I don't regret having it one bit.

Top Bottom