New EBike report.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zak3737

Über Member
Some of you may have read my report a couple of months back on the Orbea Gain EBike, and it completely sold me on getting an Ebike going forward.
I'm at an age where I feel like treating myself, more for the Pain elimination of Hills than purely the Financial treat !

Cue much reading and deliberation, comparing and reviewing, and general pondering and debating with myself on the merits and possibilities..
The Orbea was pretty good, but only Alu framed (so far), and running the Ebikemotion system, which has an unremoveable battery in the downtube, and a Rear Hub Drive.
I wasnt totaly sold on that overall, as riding 'without' the battery was never going to be a possibility, so on with thoughts....

Wilier are also soon bringing out a beautiful looking bike too, with same system as above, so again, wasnt convinced.

The Giant Ebikes, whilst having a very powerful batter apparently, are rather 'ugly' imo, and I didnt consider them, the alternatives are just far more indistinguishable as Road Bikes.

So, we move on to the options using the Fazua Evation system....which offers the 3 Power levels, and all neatly comprised into the Downtube, in a removeable Battery & Motor pack.

The Cube Agree Hybrid was quite tempting, Ultegra, with Discs etc, and the 'cheaper' of their 2 options at £4500, in White, was quite a nice looking package, but something about it just didnt quite meet with my idea of what £4500 on a Bike might look like.
(Plus, I wasnt completely sure it offered the same 400watt Max output)

The other stand out was the Pinarello Nytro, a seriously sexy looking option, and with the Prestige that comes with the marque.
However, Dealers cried that demand was huge, and they perhaps wouldnt even be getting DEmo bikes in to try, or fit on etc, even the Bike Rooms in Manchester (Distributors apparently) were stating 2/3mths at best.....
Slane Cycles in Belfast, looked like they had some in stock, but after a call, that proved incorrect, but Andy there did offer to keep me posted as he was 'expecting' one in......

So my interest now focused on the Focus Project Y, and when exactly that may appear for Sale.
Much reading, much googling, and I decided that indeed, this looked the most likely candidate,
& same Power as the Pinarello.

Then, 2 things happened.......

1. Focus launched the Paralane2, the available version of the Project Y, presumably as they'd seen demand to be huge.
However, of the 4 options to be released soon, the most likely for me would have been their Ultegra version, but only in Blue or Black, and at £5500, so pretty much Pinarello priced, and in my opinion, didnt look quite as impressive for that dosh.

2. I get a call from Andy at Slane Cycles, saying that the Nytro they'd expected has indeed landed, and is in his hands, -......how tall was I ?
Cue much measuring and debating, sending of photos, comparing my Bikes geometry with the Nytro, etc etc etc...... really really helpful, I couldnt fault their assistance at all, fantastic.

So, I dived in, and the Bike arrived before the weekend.

Cue a long ride on Saturday, 65mls, with about 2700' of ups in the rolling East Yorks countyside, and I have to say the Nytro was fantasticly comfortable, even compared to my Roubaix.

The first 30miles I didnt even have the Battery/Motor on, as it was flat, but as we reached the climbs, the motor was a godsend for me, and achieved exactly what I wanted to, in reducing my HR.

125watts gives a gentle assist to the revolutions......
250watts helps you along with a noticeble rush.....
400watts is a massive help uphill, incredible.

You still have to pedal, so are still working out, but at a level thats far more comfortable for me at least.
Stop pedalling, Motor stops too, and anything over 15mph it wont work anyway.

Frequently, on similar rides, my HR gets to what I deem to be unadviseable levels of 170-180 with even easy effort uphill, and averages of 140+.
With a familiar history of Heart issues, and indeed some arrythmias myself, mostly alcohol induced, an Ebike seemed a sensible route to go for me.

In that, it completely succeeded, my average over the 65miles was 130bpm, with a Max of 160, and at no point did I feel that pounding in my chest that does concern me at my age.

I know others will scoff at the Ebike movement, and hats off to those that refuse to ever consider not 'pushing' themselves, but I aint one of them !
This Nytro simply allows me to ride with the others as fast uphill as well as down, and simply makes the ride more enjoyable for me.
With a half mile of my house, there are 2 steep climbs which we 'never' ride up, as they feature much too early in a ride before your even remotely warmed up. As they would be direct routes to some of the better stuff beyond, thats a shame, but with this Nytro, I can breeze up without an issue, meaning I'm more likely to ride more in actual fact, and vary my rides far more.

Yes, £6k is a lot of money, but I had the chance, and felt the need, so jumped in. I know its perhaps not an option for many, and my post isnt in any way meant to be a 'willy waving, I've got a Pinarello' kind of post, its purely an honest report on the road in my decision.

I feel sure the EBike movement is going to be massive, and I reckon in a years time, all the main contenders will have an Ebike in their range, I really do.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I think you might be right.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm sure you're right .E-bikes will become increasingly popular.

How does law in NI affect you?
400 W actually exceeds the 250 W UK mainland power limit for e-bikes. That limit doesn't make much sense to me if a motor-boost speed limiter is fitted. A heavier rider might need the extra power to get to the same speed as a lighter rider. But still, AFAIK, that legal power limit exists. I have never heard of anyone having been stopped to have their bike's power output checked though ...

OP
OP
Z

zak3737

Über Member
I'm in East Yorks, not NI.

AFAIK, the Law is only that Ebikes are limited to operation up to 25kph/15mph, and not Wattage. The Nytro, and all others I believe have sensors on them that cut out the Motor when you reach that speed. It did on mine.
Thats fine for me, I dont want any assistance on the flat, or above 15mph, its only when Climbing that I want it.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
What a great write up. And there is certainly nothing wrong with E-bikes. If you have the money and want one no matter the reason then good luck to you.

I am glad you are enjoying your new aquisiition. May it give you great joy and pleasure for years to come.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Lovely! £6K is a lot of money ...... I'm waiting for my Gain at the moment, I think the deciding factor was the (relatvely) low price. I'm sure you are right, there will be lots of road e-bikes available soon, but unless the prices are lower it will remain a somewhat niche market. Maybe as many buying them have health issues there should be an e-bike on prescription scheme - free of course to those over 65 ^_^

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Lovely! £6K is a lot of money ...... I'm waiting for my Gain at the moment, I think the deciding factor was the (relatvely) low price. I'm sure you are right, there will be lots of road e-bikes available soon, but unless the prices are lower it will remain a somewhat niche market. Maybe as many buying them have health issues there should be an e-bike on prescription scheme - free of course to those over 65 ^_^
Like all relatively new technology prices will drop - and by quite a bit over time I would expect.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
400 W actually exceeds the 250 W UK mainland power limit for e-bikes. That limit doesn't make much sense to me if a motor-boost speed limiter is fitted. A heavier rider might need the extra power to get to the same speed as a lighter rider. But still, AFAIK, that legal power limit exists. I have never heard of anyone having been stopped to have their bike's power output checked though ...

Quoted power outputs on ebikes are something of a movable feast.

The nominal UK limit is 250W, but legal ebikes peak at a much higher output than that when the controller demands it.

General thinking is the peak for a legal motor is about 700W.

Which rather begs the question: What is a 250W motor for the purposes of the legislation?

The answer seems to be: Anything with a convincing looking 250W sticker on it.

OP
OP
Z

zak3737

Über Member
if it works for you then whats not to like, oh and we like photos , its the law...:okay:

Of course, how rude of me !! This was before sent to me, with steerer cut with extra spacer, Stem changed to slightly shorter 100mm Carbon Most stem, Ultegra Pedals and Bottle cages etc.
IMG_3093.JPG

OP
OP
Z

zak3737

Über Member
Oh, and again, a big up to Andy & Paul at Slanes' in Belfast, really helpful guys.

I'm debating whether the wheels would look better with all decals removed ?

Yes an authentic looking sticker probably would do the job for all but the most thorough investigations. My only, but major concern would be the aftermath or a serious collision, likely if litigation is involved and you are accused of driving a non-roadworthy motor vehicle without insurance, plates, indicators, helmet, license etc, it could backfire then. In theory you could lose your drivers license if you have one, it's a serious offence. Also, any compensation you receive could be reduced in accordance with contributory negligence resulting in the choice of motor/speed.

Really, the laws around e-bikes need to be reviewed, particularly high powered motors with speed limiters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom