New headset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skwerl

That's just a fabric cover to stop dirt getting to the headset.
When you say it's snapped, what do you mean. I can't imagine a headset snapping.
your bike uses a 1 1/8" Ahead-set (ie threadless). There are many replecement options available but it depends what's broken

OP
OP
K

karimali831

skwerl said:
That's just a fabric cover to stop dirt getting to the headset.
When you say it's snapped, what do you mean. I can't imagine a headset snapping.
your bike uses a 1 1/8" Ahead-set (ie threadless). There are many replecement options available but it depends what's broken

Take a look at the attachment image. The bike fell to the ground and it just snapped. Like it has been knifed through. It's not metal also.

I just take it apart, and buy a 1 1/8" Ahead-set ? Any ideas where I can buy this from?

Thanks.

skwerl

sounds more like it's the fork steerer tube that's broken.
are handlebars detached from the bike?

if not then it may just be the weather seal that goes over the headset bearing race.

assuming my first line is incorrect - if you hold the brakes on and rock the bike back and forth does everything feel tight or is there play in the front fork/headset area?

OP
OP
K

karimali831

skwerl said:
sounds more like it's the fork steerer tube that's broken.
are handlebars detached from the bike?

if not then it may just be the weather seal that goes over the headset bearing race.

assuming my first line is incorrect - if you hold the brakes on and rock the bike back and forth does everything feel tight or is there play in the front fork/headset area?

I was going to mention that in my previous post. When I apply the front brakes, it will rock back and fowards. I've been told by Halfords not to ride it because it's dangerous and I will need to buy a new headset (12.99 & additional 20 GPB to get it repaired)

So yes, it seems very loosen and this appears to be happening in the fork/headset area only. Everything else is attached on the bike (handlebars etc), and I still ride it. It does seem to get a little rusty without a fixed headset.

Thanks for the help

skwerl

sounds like the bearing race has cracked.
If the bike's quite new I'd argue that it should able to withstand being dropped once and shoul dbe repared under warranty

OP
OP
K

karimali831

skwerl said:
sounds like the bearing race has cracked.
If the bike's quite new I'd argue that it should able to withstand being dropped once and shoul dbe repared under warranty

It's 3 months old. The guy said, it probably is not under the manufacturers warranty as it is not a non-moving part.

I wouldn't mind buying a new one, just need to know where from?

Thanks again

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
karimali831 said:
It's 3 months old. The guy said, it probably is not under the manufacturers warranty as it is not a non-moving part.

I wouldn't mind buying a new one, just need to know where from?

Thanks again

As the previous poster said, he's talking rubbish. Contact your local trading standards if they give you grief!

02GF74

Über Member
karimali831 said:

WTF? That is nonsense, non moving parts should have even longer guarantees surely?

Parts failing due to normal wear andtear are not guaranteed.

OP
OP
K

karimali831

It has cracked, it can NOT be repaired. You must buy a new one to have another one fitted on. But I don't see why it costs £12.99 just for a plastic ring, perhaps it's metal.

Also, surely I do not need them to fit it on for an additional £20?!

Top Bottom