New Kindle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Anyone got the new Kindle yet ?

I ordered the 3G/WiFi one a week or so back for my son - birthday mid November.... he's an avid reader and has run out of books....this might just make things easier...

He hates most school books, but as you know there are some cracking kids authors out there that make reading a joy for a child. Not a 'reader' myself, but we were keen to get him this - his wish was a netbook, but I think the Kindle will be much better... we've mentioned it to him and he seems over the moon. Lots of classic books available for free as well (out of copyright).

Might just about get one as there is a good month's delay on deliveries.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Anyone got the new Kindle yet ?

I ordered the 3G/WiFi one a week or so back for my son - birthday mid November.... he's an avid reader and has run out of books....this might just make things easier...

He hates most school books, but as you know there are some cracking kids authors out there that make reading a joy for a child. Not a 'reader' myself, but we were keen to get him this - his wish was a netbook, but I think the Kindle will be much better... we've mentioned it to him and he seems over the moon. Lots of classic books available for free as well (out of copyright).

Might just about get one as there is a good month's delay on deliveries.

Yep mine arrived last Saturday. I've also got the Kindle app installed on my phone and it shares where you are up to in a book across devices which is cool.

Very impressed with it so far. its also the first gadget I've got for a while where I can't customize it (I'm always installing custom ROMs on my phone for example)

Spent a lot on books so far, see advert, buy book cos it's just way too easy!!!

Slim

Über Member
A colleague has just got one. It's nice and slim but I think I prefer the design of the Sony E-Reader (PRS-600 or something like that). Without having used either in anger, the kindle seems to have a lot more functionality (mini tablet-PC almost). The Sony seems to be just a reader and not much else. The kindle's got loads of buttons on the front which I found distracting.

Mind you, when the kindle was switched on, another colleague pressed a button and the page that loaded was pure filth :ohmy: . How old's your son? You may want to disable this filth finder button.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Very impressed with it so far. its also the first gadget I've got for a while where I can't customize it (I'm always installing custom ROMs on my phone for example)
Well, you can at least 'customise' the text size!

I might get one for Christmas. 

I've installed the Kindle Previewer application on my PC and it seems to me that the smallest text size might not be quite small enough. Mind you, the window I'm reading in is 11.3" rather than the 6" screen size of the Kindle so perhaps it is about right on the real thing. Do you think that the smallest text size on your Kindle is small enough?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Well, you can at least 'customise' the text size!

I might get one for Christmas.

I've installed the Kindle Previewer application on my PC and it seems to me that the smallest text size might not be quite small enough. Mind you, the window I'm reading in is 11.3" rather than the 6" screen size of the Kindle so perhaps it is about right on the real thing. Do you think that the smallest text size on your Kindle is small enough?

I've actually got mine Kindle text set on the third smallest. It seems closest to the size of the text in a paperback. I suppose it all depends what you prefer.

Usually I set text/screen resolution to the smallest available (cue people at work trying to read my screen!!) but so far I'm working on the idea that a. the Kindle is replacing my books and should have similar text size b. I want to be able to read for hours at a time (already done!) without tired eyes.

ColinJ

I've actually got mine Kindle text set on the third smallest. It seems closest to the size of the text in a paperback. I suppose it all depends what you prefer.
'Book size' is what I was looking for really. 

On the Kindle Previewer on my PC screen, the smallest text size is much bigger than that in a paperback but it is being displayed about 90% bigger than on an actual Kindle (11.3" PC application window vs 6.0" Kindle screen). Unfortunately, the Previewer doesn't allow me to resize the window it is displayed in.

martint235

Dog on a bike
'Book size' is what I was looking for really.

On the Kindle Previewer on my PC screen, the smallest text size is much bigger than that in a paperback but it is being displayed about 90% bigger than on an actual Kindle (11.3" PC application window vs 6.0" Kindle screen). Unfortunately, the Previewer doesn't allow me to resize the window it is displayed in.

Ok just had a look at the Kindle app on my PC. If you install the Kindle app rather than previewer (apologies if they are the same thing), the second lowest setting is about what I've got on my actual Kindle. (my PC is running at 1680 x1050)

Hope this helps

ColinJ

Ok just had a look at the Kindle app on my PC. If you install the Kindle app rather than previewer (apologies if they are the same thing), the second lowest setting is about what I've got on my actual Kindle. (my PC is running at 1680 x1050)

Hope this helps
Thanks, but you've already answered the question really. I just wondered if you could get text to look paperback size and the answer is obviously 'yes'. In the Kindle previewer, even on setting 1 text looks bigger than book size on my screen (19 inch, 1440x900).

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

It's been shipped. :thumbsup:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
A friend of mine has one... looks quite natty, but not the sort of gadget I'd be into, personally. I've got Kindle for Android... does that count?
smile.gif

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

OMG - just got the Android app, and it's synchronised with my Amazon account - so the 4 free books I've 'bought' are available to read on my phone, and will download to the Kindle once we get it........sheesh.................. amazing..........................

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Apparently, the Kindle is pre-configured to your Amazon account.......switch on and go.................. got the email earlier............! Order now, and the books download as you switch it on............... :ohmy:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Apparently, the Kindle is pre-configured to your Amazon account.......switch on and go.................. got the email earlier............! Order now, and the books download as you switch it on............... :ohmy:

errrr yeah they say that. I found that mine wasn't. Still it's not a difficult or time consuming task, just enter your email address and password and away it goes.

Fuzzball

Got my delivery notification on friday, mine is due to arrive on 28th, so think i'll be spending the night shift tonight picking out a few books ready for its arrival! On a more boring note also have to upload a load of manuals from work as i have a check coming up, soo much easy to carry thou!

Top Bottom