New Manchester Commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I sometimes do the reverse- although it's such a pain getting through town at the moment i'm going via eastlands mostly.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I touch the A56 when I do my short commute (at top of Derbyshire Lane East crossing it to get onto Talbot Road then heading down towards Hulme), but when I meet up with Tharg we generally head down to Fallowfield/Didsbury to extend the route.

Where you starting from?

No, but Bike Friday is running every Friday from Stretford Arndale & using that route I suspect...

*just read the blurb and what, a McDonalds has CLOSED?* :cry:

Stretford Arndale to Albert Square

Meet 8am at Stretford Mall next to the Chester Road bus stop (McDonald's has closed down). If it is more convenient you can join the ride on route anywhere along the A56 (after 8:10am approx.). map: starting point
Ride leader: Richard

OP
OP
E

ed_o_brain

I commute from near Northenden.

I sometimes head up Pallatine Road and then onto Wilmslow Oxford road but cycling through Northenden is a PITA.

I mean, I got yelled at on Sunday morning for riding in the middle of the road when I was overtaking the treacherous/uncomfortable potholes the buses leave behind. It was Sunday morning!!!

I've met cyclists nearly everyday so far on the A56, so I just thought I'd see if any of you lost used it.

I'm normally on Wilmslow from just before the Fallowfield Sainsbury's (heading north), but Fossy has tried to convince me that the backroute through Rusholme is better than that... Still trying to find an 'ideal' alternate route there.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
ed_o_brain said:
I commute from near Northenden.

I sometimes head up Pallatine Road and then onto Wilmslow Oxford road but cycling through Northenden is a PITA.

I mean, I got yelled at on Sunday morning for riding in the middle of the road when I was overtaking the treacherous/uncomfortable potholes the buses leave behind. It was Sunday morning!!!

I've met cyclists nearly everyday so far on the A56, so I just thought I'd see if any of you lost used it.
Aaah, I'm from "the other side" of Manchester (Urmston).

a_n_t

ed_o_brain said:
but cycling through Northenden is a PITA.

I mean, I got yelled at on Sunday morning for riding in the middle of the road

I skirted round there on Sunday [heading towards Sale] it was mental near the lights at the motorway!

OP
OP
E

ed_o_brain

It usually is. One of the reasons I end up going down to Sale and up the A56.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh, I hit Northenden from the main traffic lights (coming in from Gatley) - it's bumpy as hell in the centre.... easier in rush hour.....the traffic is slow.... , then scoot up Palatine Road till just before the main junction with Barlowmoor Rd - just nip through to Didsbury - that's my longer route in....

SavageHoutkop you could also use Lloyd St from Wilbram Rd (Fallowfield) - i.e. to the West of Wilmslow Rd..although it's a bit 'rough'.....i.e. bit 'gangsta' area for me and not enough flowing traffic...goes all the way past the west of the Uni campuses, quiet....:biggrin:

Top Bottom