New rack or panniers? Whats the best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alcdrew

OK, currently using Topeak MTX trunk bag on a Topeak QR MTX Beam Rack with the side bits and I'm in the need of replacing the bag, but I'm wondering if it might be better swaping the QR rack for a proper pannier, so I can get something like this and get the centre of gravity lower, which I think should help with the handling, maybe?

So really I'm looking for some advice is it worth getting a pannier? Will it help with a low centre of gravity? Any sugestions on whats good? Pannier would need to fit a disc frame/bike, the bag I would like one each side, one to hold the standard everyday water proofs/ repair kit etc and the other of my change of clothes and lunch (As you can tell by that it's for a commuter) One of the things I love about the QR beam is the fact if I'm using my bike to pop down the round/ to the pub I can remove it easy, and get back the sleak good looks of my bike. Is there any pannier that is easy/ quick to remove?

Sorry for all the questions, but have glanced around the net and I'm getting a bit confused as to what I should do. Stick or twist!!

Tynan

Veteran
you'll get it all into one pannier easy, they hold a lot if you want them too

the rack isn't going to come off as regards sleek lines but panniers do dead easy, nice carry handle, shoulder strap on most

ortleib is the standard recommendation, plenty of other good stuff in the mid price range

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

Is one pannier stable? I know loads of people use them but does not having all the weight on one side effect the feel of the bike? Is it not best to spread the weight?

Also what are poeples thoughts on the front panniers? Is it better the have the weight at the front or the back?

Seconded. I commuted for years with one pannier full of junk and I, er, never even noticed it.
Tubus and Blackburn racks are good, but any half decent alloy rack will do the job for years. I use Altura panniers, I've got some top end ones for touring, but the cheap ones I bought for commuting are still in good nick after years of everyday use.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
You only ever notice one pannier when you have a heavy load and you are pushing the bike at either end of your journey ... on the bike its just perfectly balanced.

Tynan

Veteran
I think front racks affect steering a bit and are only for the kitchen sink touring types

rack plus single pannier, piece of piss really, do it

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

Thanks for the info people.

I will be popping down to the LBS at the weekend to check out some racks and bags, was going to go the weekend but came down with some bug, so never made it out of the house.

One question though, is it worth spending £50-100 on a rack, or are the £25ish type one fine? I don't plan to over load it, will only be looking at one bag attached the side. With probably no more than 10kg in it.

£50 version
£77 version
£25 version

Tynan

Veteran
I had no idea you could spend that much on racks

blimey

seems to me you want something solid with the usual thing to mount stuff and hook a bungee.pannier onto, heaven knows how they can make one that costs that much

the rack and the pannier aren't going to care about the load, the whell is the first thing to suffer if anything does

afaik natch

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

I take it since you didn't know they could be that expensive I'll be fine with the cheaper style, although I'm tempted by the £50 one, just cos it looks nice. I should still be able to keep at least some of my bikes sleak lines. Doubt the LBS has any in stock for me to look at though.

Tynan

Veteran
yes, although I'm still using a rack bought fifteen plus years ago that moves from bike to bike so I'm no connoisseur

as long as it marries your choice of pannier and fits your bike than whatever you want obviously, my one is defo function before form

Top Bottom