New Saddle required - desparately

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've got my new bike and just done a couple of low milage runs on it (under 5 in each case), and the saddle and me do not get on:sad:.

I realise that you can buy saddles in different widths - I've tried measuring my sit bones at home (including getting my husband and children involved - who thought it was hilarious the various methods we tried). It might have come out about 130 mm (it did vary), which suprised me as I would have describled myself as having child bearing hips. The thing is when saddles describe themselves as 130 wide - presumably you don't want your sit bones sitting on the edge of the saddle or is it for sit bones 130 wide.

Now I'm thinking I would would like one of the specialized saddles (for no reason other than I like my specialized gloves and shoes). Is there anywhere near Bristol that actually has something for measuring properly your sit bones?

I would describe my cycling style as in between sitting upright and I don't have drops - but I would lean forward abit. I don't want something that looks like a sofa - nor something that is super lean - but a narrow nose and designed for a woman.

If anyone is still reading all of that ... have you got any suggestions/advice?:sad:

or even saddles that you have hated - though I realise its a very personal thing.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I liked the Selle San Marco SKN (a tenner, from Ribble) and love the Fiz:ik Arione Wingflex (£50, Merlin Cycles).

The only other saddle I've used seriously is the Selle Royal Viper that was on my Giant SCR2 - ok, but a bit wide (I thought). None of those I've mentioned have specific ladies versions (as far as I know) though.

domtyler

Über Member
Please consider a Brooks. I have three different saddles on three different bikes and from what you have said of your requirements and your riding style I would definitely point you toward a Brooks saddle, maybe something beautiful like a B72 Brown?

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Been out for another ride today - and I don't want to go out for a ride tomorrow on it ... I hate that saddle so much:angry:.

GrahamG

Guru
summerdays - I've got a Specialized Toupé on my bike and an old planet-x saddle, plus a few random gel saddles in the box if you want to try any out then you're more than welcome. I'm over the opposite side of the downs to the zoo if you want to drop the kids there :smile:

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Thanks for the offer - I'm hoping to get to the shop tomorrow ... depending on one arriving back from a sleep over, and another on upto the Mall with her mates... so I may know my bottom size then (:biggrin: or maybe :smile:). Youngest is too young to be left on his own (I do try but you know social services may catch on).

I'm on the north side of Bristol too - just further east - but the Downs is only a nice little bike ride away along Kellaway Avenue.

GrahamG

Guru
Hope you find something! Offer still stands if you want to pop over after work on monday/tuesday (got visitor this weekend), just drop me a PM.

Top Bottom