1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Scientist article

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Yellow Fang, 7 May 2008.

1. Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

I read in New Scientist yesterday that a study revealed Jehovah's Witnesses, who refuse to accept blood transfusions, have better survival rates after surgery than patients in general. It seems to be something to do with a lot of the blood in blood banks being a bit stale. That means all those years I thought I was helping to save people's lives I was actually helping to kill them. Never mind, it's the thought that counts :blush:

2. Renard

Renard Guest

Sponsored by... Jehova Witnesses :blush:

3. Night Train

Night Train Guest

Maybe it should be supply on demand.

4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

But do they have better survival rates during surgery?

5. OP
    OP
    Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

Apparently so.

6. strofiwimple

strofiwimple Über Member

Bollox! thats a well thought out and much deliberated reply.

7. OP
    OP
    Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

8. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

Jehovah's Witnesses don't eat blood! What, no black pudding? Obviously not the religion for me.

9. palinurus

palinurus Guru

They don't eat blood? damn, they probably don't drink it either. Looks like I was all wrong about them

10. Maz

Maz Guru

This obviously presupposes that no blood transfusions are needed in order to carry out the surgery in the first place. Does the article say what type of surgery?

11. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

And is the reported survival rate attributed to the blood transfusions that have or have not taken place? Or did they just correlate two random stats?

12. OP
    OP
    Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

It says the surgeons use special techniques for Jehovah's Witnesses that mean they don't have to transfuse any blood.

13. OP
    OP
    Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

Yes, the survival rate is attributed to blood transfusions not having taken place. It's been borne out by several studies.

14. craigwend

craigwend Grimpeur des Holderness

A bit more info

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/apr/24/medicalresearch.health

Interesting article - particually if this includes the changes around advance decisions?

Normally a bit sceptical, but questions the validity of the use every time balanced with the risks of not using it.

Jehovah Witnesses can have (limited) blood 'products' harvested from their own blood & have been at the forefront of pioneering 'bloodless surgery' techniques.

there's a good page on wikipedia on this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses_and_blood_transfusions

Not religous myself but spoke to a 'witness' about the subject, generally interesting.