new speed record :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Set a new all time best average speed for myself yesterday on a route I do about 14 miles with some hills on.

Shock and amazement Im into double figures :angry: 10.8 average mph.Im sure most of you will laugh at that but last time I did it it was 8.3 and I felt worn out.This time i enjoyed every minute of it. Even had a cheery wave from a couple of guys on road bikes as they overtook me,I only let them by as a courtesy,didnt want to show them up on a Halfords Hybrid. :rolleyes:

I have just been out getting fingers dirty counting teeth on chain rings,my "Granny Ring" is a 24 which I use often on steep hills. Most of the bikes I look at in shops/ online with a view to upgrading at some point seem to have 28 teeth grannys. Will the better quality of the bikes help on the hills or would it be that much harder?

adds21

Rider of bikes
Banjo said:
Set a new all time best average speed for myself yesterday on a route I do about 14 miles with some hills on.

Nice one! Sounds like we're pretty matched, because I did an average of 10.8 on my slightly hilly ride yesterday as well! I got overtaken by a couple of cheery people on road bikes as I was plodding along on my hybrid. There's nothing like spending a Sunday morning on the country lanes, I love it.

A.

killiekosmos

Veteran
Congratulations. The main thing is you got up the hills, not the speed. My touring bike has a granny gear which allows me to wind my way up steep hills at (almost) walking pace. When I got a road bike (SCR 2) I thought I might miss it but not really - a lighter bike helps a lot, even without the granny.

Well done Banjo, not many people can improve by 30% :biggrin:
The quality of bike does help IME the weight benefits (lighter bike) outways the loss of a few gears. Like Killie I was a bit dubious when I got my first Road bike having a 34/50 compact double but I soon found out the lighter bike made the difference.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Good stuff Banjo, and you enjoyed it and didn't feel so tired. On the gears I'd say progress as you feel able. Spinning an easier gear is less stressful but can make a hill last a long time. I just aim to keep upping the gear I use, for a given hill, periodically. I will reach a limit and will probably drop back one gear from that point. How often you move up a level is down to the miles/effort you put in, your physical well being and the messages your body sends you.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Many thanks for the encouraging words . I think that commuting everyday has helped ,its only 3 miles each way but some steep hills on the homeward ride.

Only had the bike a couple of months done about 300 miles so far. I suspect the improvement will level off now and future gains will be harder won. feel a lot better in myself ,wish I had got into it years ago. Cheers.

515mm

Nice one, Banjo - 30% improvement indeed!

A road bike with it's superior aerodynamic positioning and lighter frame/wheels/tyres will make up for the lack of granny ring. I didn't miss it when I changed from my MTB with it's triple to a 'compact chainset' equipped road bike. Much, much, more enjoyable for my coincidentally 14 mile commute. Hybrids aren't terribly efficient over long distances, but great for getting into cycling in the first place.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Ever thought about joining Cyclogs Banjo? It would be a fine way to help track your progress and mileage! Check my sig for the link...

SD

Mike Rudkin

Banjo said:

Shock and amazement Im into double figures :biggrin: 10.8 average mph.

Did roughly same route with Banjo today-my 1st 'over 10 miles' on road bike this year. 13 miles,undulating,managed to average 12.2 mph.
Very enjoyable ride.:tongue:

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Pleasure to meet you today Mike. I was hoping to get up to 11 mph average so was delighted to do it at 12.2

Im sure it was largely due to you being there though I never felt you were pushing me . I am looking forward to the next one. Cheers Graham

Top Bottom