New to road cycling.....help with purchase please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crphillips

Hi there,

I wondered if you could help me with chosing a bike. I've seen a couple i like the look of but can't decide between them.......also should there be any others i should be looking at.

I'm after two.....one for me and one for my missus.....looking at spending around £1300-£2000 per cycle.

The main contenders so far is the:

Felt F4
Giant Defy 4 Advanced

What do you reckon to these bikes and is there anything better for the money?

Cheers.

jayce

there a so many its your personal choice do you want ti ,carbon ,steel ,alloy,you will be unindated with choice everyone on here has their opinion what to buy .trek,ribble,dolan,cannondale,ridley,giant,felt,pinnacle,and the list goes on and on so its your personal choice if you like them then get them .there a loads for that kind of money so you have opened up a can of worms for your self ,,good luck fella

OP
OP
C

crphillips

fair enough.........i always had felt BMX bikes and was really happy with them but i love the look and spec of the new Giant Defy......the frames are really nice looking.

Ivan Ardon

I think you need the services of a good bike shop before spending that kind of money. Have you test ridden anything yet? The spec on paper is all well and good, but ultimately it's how the bike fits and rides that is important.

A 2000 pound bike that doesn't fit is an even bigger disappointment than a 500 pound one that doesn't fit.

OP
OP
C

crphillips

I haven't really tried them other than sitting on them......would be nice to take them for a spin......don't really know what i'm looking for in a road bike though. It's all a bit new to me.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Have a look around on VeloWeb (link below). Read about the differences between commuter, touring, racing and audax (randonneur) bikes.

That might help you decide what you are really looking for.

For £1300-£2000 per cycle, you will have plenty to chose from.

jayce

most bike shops will let you test ride the bikes so go to a shop with lots of makes then take them for a spin ,also check the spec of the bikes

oxbob

Ivan Ardon said:
I think you need the services of a good bike shop before spending that kind of money. Have you test ridden anything yet? The spec on paper is all well and good, but ultimately it's how the bike fits and rides that is important.

A 2000 pound bike that doesn't fit is an even bigger disappointment than a 500 pound one that doesn't fit.
Agree if these are your 1st road bikes, you are better off looking at spesh sirruis/ giant scr range at 5/6 hundred pounds

Top Bottom