New Trend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trevrev

Veteran
Over the last week in southampton, i've seen 3 different cyclists with front and rear red flashers!
No white light at the front just red.
Is this just happening in my area or has anyone else seen this odd thing?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
nope not seen that..... yet...

Jezston

Über Member
Seeing a lot of odd lighting arrangements recently, but then I guess that's because it's got dark earlier!

Mostly it's just incredibly dim or no lighting, but I've noticed a lot of GREEN lights - front or back - especially around the university. Guessing someone around the university is selling them cheap. What's the legality on green lights? Do they need to be red and white?

Alun

Guru
Many moons ago, they couldn't make white LEDs so they made green ones and hoped no-one would notice. They were crap then, and have probably got the original batteries in. Technology has moved on !

400bhp

Guru
I keep seeing green ones too, and they all seem really dim, or is that just me?
For some weird reason some of the cheaper light sets have a green or orange LED light for the front. :wacko: I got given a set last year and use it as a spare on the front of my hybrid.

Alun

Guru
I see one guy who has a white one at the rear. and a few that run red at the front. strange indeed
Red doesn't affect their night vision, they're probably in the SAS.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I saw a chap the other day with nothing but a tiny little red LED thing hanging from his helmet. He had all the gear and was filtering expertly in traffic, so ignorance would be an unlikely excuse. Perhaps he just enjoys the extra frisson of danger.

crazy580

The only time you can show a green flashing light from your vehicle is when you are using the vehicle for an emergency and have a doctor on board.

Dan_h

All these confusing things about lights... red on the front, no green ones, flashing or not flashing... it is so complex... best just leave them off I think!

Hip Priest

Veteran
There's no need for that Dan. I just cover my lights up so that the nosy sods can't see them and pass comment.

Top Bottom