New Tubeless Tyre 'Boil' / Bulge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GravityFighter

Über Member
Here's a new one on me. I've been riding a pair of new Hutchinson Fusion 5 tubeless tyres on new Hunt wheels for the last couple of weeks (all fitted by my LBS).

After completing a sportive yesterday, I've done the usual check of the bike and found the below - two large boil-like bulges on the main body of the tyre.

I haven't done anything unusual and have taken care to use the correct pressures etc. MY LBS are pretty decent and said they'll replace as soon as possible under warranty.

The other tyre looks fine, so just posting this out of sheer curiosity. Anyone else seen anything like it before? Anything you think it's down to?

Hopefully not user error and the replacement will be fine! Most odd though.

Attachments

• Tyre.jpg
    Tyre.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 139

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
That looks like a failure of the tyre carcass, most likely due to a manufacturing defect as it's only been on the bike a couple of weeks and there is no indication of damage externally. I'd expect it to be replaced under warranty.

OP
OP
GravityFighter

GravityFighter

Über Member
Me too; they felt absolutely fine yesterday.

Rickshaw's comment above confirms my suspicions. Likely a manufacturing issue and the casing / layering has failed.

Just hope the trusty LBS can sort quickly!

si_c

Guru
Me too; they felt absolutely fine yesterday.

Rickshaw's comment above confirms my suspicions. Likely a manufacturing issue and the casing / layering has failed.

Just hope the trusty LBS can sort quickly!

As above. I don't think it needs to be said, but I'd refrain from riding them.

Ajax Bay

Guru
found the below - two large boil-like bulges on the main body of the tyre. The other tyre looks fine,
I would try to replace the other tyre at the same time. I had a problem with a Giant tyre (as bought on a used bike) bulging from a sidewall (the carcass had deteriorated - which was clear from inspecting the inside). I foolishly didn't replace the rear and 700k into an end-to-end (short of Lancaster on Day 4) the rear started bulging the same way. Since, at 6:15pm, it was after normal bike shop closing time, and needing a 7am start for the following day's 140 mile ride, I very fortunately found a garage (on the A6 near Garstang) which had some 700c tyres (622-28) and replaced it there and then.

Top Bottom