New Tyres unexpected bonus.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Just replaced my old semi knobbly 700x40 hybrid tyres with Michelin City Pilots 700x32.

Bike definitely seems to roll better on the road though slipped and slid a bit on a steep muddy track.

One unexpected bonus is that normally my fingers go numb after a couple of miles .after an 8 mile ride no numbness at all:smile:this is going to really improve my enjoyment of riding the bike.

These tyres wont suit you if you count every gram as they are solidly built with protek P******* protection and weigh in at 1000 grams each.I cant say that the extra weight was noticeable to me and it is probably more than offset by the better rolling .

Pressure rating is between 45 and 87 psi so put 60 in for now.

If anyones interested I will report back on them after getting some miles in on them.

garrilla

A 1000 grams? Is that a polite way of saying 1kg?

What are you riding, a tractor?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
1000 grammes, goodness............ 225g's for my Fixed tyres.... 200g for the road bikes....

Should be bomb proof then at that weight....

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

They certainly look and feel tough which was the attraction for me I ride a lot of lanes were glass and rubbish in the road is hard to avoid. Time will tell. Im not sure if the weight is correct,I got it from Chainreactions website but they only quote one weight for a wide variety of widths.

Have to say that the bike seems to ride easier than with the semi kn obbly ones I had before so I am happy.

Chainreaction seems a good outfit. I ordered them Friday eve selected free delivery they came today.

You will probably find they roll even better at a higher pressure as well, Banjo, though you will sacrifice a bit of comfort.

What I did when I put thinner tyres on my MTB commuter was to start at 60 and gradually work up each day. Once it didn't feel like it was rolling better on the road bits, and was getting a bit bouncy in the woods, I stopped. For what it's worth, I run about 80psi at the back, 70 or so at the front.

For the numb hands, do you wear gloves at all? I was surprised how much difference cycling gloves with padded palms made.

Joshgav

I think chainreaction often quote the package weight and so the 1kg isn't the weight of the tyre. Hope that helps :-)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
fossyant said:
1000 grammes, goodness............ 225g's for my Fixed tyres.... 200g for the road bikes....

Should be bomb proof then at that weight....
According to the Michelin website the 32C tyres are actually 850g, but that's still really, like, heaaaaaaaaaaavy man! :tongue:

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

I put them both up to 70 this morning and just back from a short 3 mile circular route I do. Beat my previous best average by 1 mph and my fastest speed down a steep hill was previously 25 this morning to my surprise went up to 31 mph .:tongue:

Re the weight of them I am only riding for fun and fitness so its a bit academic to me,I like knowing I have something strong between me and the tarmac . I feel much better now knowing they are ONLY 850 gms :-)

Re gloves i do have a pair but not padded ones which would have helped but once again this morning no numbness at all which leads me to think it must have been vibration from the tyres causing it. Hoping to get out on a longer ride this afternoon if no numbness after a couple of hours I will be well pleased.
Lazy-Commuter said:
You will probably find they roll even better at a higher pressure as well, Banjo, though you will sacrifice a bit of comfort.

What I did when I put thinner tyres on my MTB commuter was to start at 60 and gradually work up each day. Once it didn't feel like it was rolling better on the road bits, and was getting a bit bouncy in the woods, I stopped. For what it's worth, I run about 80psi at the back, 70 or so at the front.

For the numb hands, do you wear gloves at all? I was surprised how much difference cycling gloves with padded palms made.

Banjo said:
I put them both up to 70 this morning and just back from a short 3 mile circular route I do. Beat my previous best average by 1 mph and my fastest speed down a steep hill was previously 25 this morning to my surprise went up to 31 mph .:sad:

Re the weight of them I am only riding for fun and fitness so its a bit academic to me,I like knowing I have something strong between me and the tarmac . I feel much better now knowing they are ONLY 850 gms :-)

Re gloves i do have a pair but not padded ones which would have helped but once again this morning no numbness at all which leads me to think it must have been vibration from the tyres causing it. Hoping to get out on a longer ride this afternoon if no numbness after a couple of hours I will be well pleased.
.. well, that is 15% lighter !! :tongue:

Enjoy your ride this afternoon.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Glad the tyres work well. Interesting you mention that the numbness in your hands disappeared. I would think that would be related to the tyre pressure rather than the tyre itself. Re tyre pressure I work on the 10% rule - ie whatever I put in the back I put t10% less in the front. Works a treat and prevents excessively twitchy steering.

Top Bottom