New tyres!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rob7222

After my 2nd puncture is as many times out I've decided its time for new tyres, 600 miles on stock tyres isn't too shabby?
I'm currently on 700x25 but I don't mind dropping to 23 and I'd like to keep it under £70 for the pair. So what should I be looking at?

PS, I'll be using wiggle if that helps.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
If you want puncture protection and don't mind the extra weight then you want Schwalbe marathon plus's

Chris James

Über Member
rob7222 said:
After my 2nd puncture is as many times out I've decided its time for new tyres, 600 miles on stock tyres isn't too shabby?
I'm currently on 700x25 but I don't mind dropping to 23 and I'd like to keep it under £70 for the pair. So what should I be looking at?

PS, I'll be using wiggle if that helps.

I am far from an expert on tyres but you will need to give more info if you are to get helpful suggestions. What do you value most, puncture resistance, light weight, grip, longevity? Many of these are trade offs with each other.

By the way, 600 miles doesn't sound too impressive for me, unless you are talking pure race tyres (and even then ...)

Tynan

Veteran
I dropped from 25 to 23 and found it good, quicker and as comf

as for type, everyone has a favourite, a good quality name brand that's slick will be fine surely

marathon + is for plodding donkeys

there, I said it

Mr Pig

I've just ordered my third pair of Specialized Nimbus Armadillo. You can get them from Cyclestore for £20 including a free inner tube.

In about seven years of use I've have one puncture. That was a direct hit but a metal staple when the tire was very worn down. Road tyres though. Pretty skittish off road, you can do it but you will fall off.

bonj2

i've only ever had one puncture in my michelin pro race 2s, coincidentally that was the first day i had them, and never had another since. probably done about 2000 miles on them

doyler78

Have used Spesh Armadillos and they are bullet proof, never had a puncture on them however they are so heavy and roll like pigs in glue so got shot for that reason. Went to Michelin Pro2 Race which I have found to be much better rollers though grip isn't that fantastic however this has been improved, apparently in the Pro3 race which I now have but haven't used yet. Never punctured on them however only done about 1000 miles on them so not the greatest test of them. Currently using Schwalbe Ultremo - much grippier than the pro2 race and equally as good at rolling. Only have done 300-400 miles on them so can't advise on longevity though reports out there suggest they cut up quite easily however given they are primarily a time trialling tyre (or so they told me when I bought the bike) then I guess you can't expect them to last the best.

All in all I have never had a puncture on any tyre. Lucky me I know.

Top Bottom