New wheels or new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2pies

Veteran
I bought a Spec. Tricross in April and its been great for commuting. However, I've recently joined a club and am now going for 40-50 mile club runs each sunday. The bike feels a little sluggish, especially 20-30 miles into the ride. I think much of it is wheels, the front is the stock entry level Mavic and I had to replace the rear after a nasty buckle and just bought a cheap Raleigh wheel. The 32mm tyres don't help either - a guy on the run today asked how I was coping with "tractor tyres" :laugh:

So, my options seem to be a) upgrade the wheels or b) get a more sporty bike. Funds are limited so if I went for b) it would probably only be a £500-£600 bike e.g. Spec. Allez, Trek 1.1. I'm not convinced that they would be much of an upgrade on what I have - same Shimano 2300 groupset and cheap wheels. I think it would be better to invest about £300 on a better set of wheels like the Fulcrum Racing 5 and a pair of sporty 23mm tyres. I could even use the CX set up for commuting and just switch the wheels at the weekend.

Its also quite possible that I'd have £1000 available through another c2w voucher in early 2013 to get a much better bike with a Tiagra or 105 groupset.

Thoughts?

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I can offer an opinion here...

I have a tricross sport (tiagra) and a secteur elite (105).

A lot of people seem to think that the larger tyres of the Tricross will make it smoother on the road. While its true that Im happier going over rough groung on the tricross (potholes, trails, towpaths and so on) unless the road is really in a poor state the Secteur gives the smoother ride, and thats on 23 or 25mm tyres. It also accelerates better and climbs better on the road. (Both are triples, tricross has a 11-32, secteur 11-27).

Knowing what I know now I would suggest that if you need a bike thats a bit rufty-tufty go with the tricross. If you do mainly road riding, get the road bike.

cerenko

I think you would be much better to go for a new bike.
There are some fantastic bargains to be had on ebay if you take a few weeks and buy the parts separately and build it yourself.
In the last few months I have gone from a halfords carrera to a scott cr1 full carbon frame and forks with a mix of 105 and ultigra and mavic rims scott pro hubs and had the pleasure of building the bike to my requirements all for £420 very easy to do and the bike is a flyer. Total weight of bike 18 pounds ,All the parts are nearly new. ^_^

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
Wow, completely opposite of what I had planned ^_^

I'll certainly look on eBay for some bargains. My only concern with that is my height - 6'4". When I have looked on eBay for used bikes it is very slim pickings for anything that size. Easy if you are looking for popular 54-56cm frames. 61cm, not so much.

potsy

Rambler
Would it be worth just putting some lighter, more road orientated tyres on for the club runs?
Just got the Tricross myself and also have a Secteur, there is a definite difference in speed/acceleration which I am putting down to the semi-nobbly tyres and the slight increase in weight.

Bayerd

Über Member
Would it be worth just putting some lighter, more road orientated tyres on for the club runs?
Just got the Tricross myself and also have a Secteur, there is a definite difference in speed/acceleration which I am putting down to the semi-nobbly tyres and the slight increase in weight.

You need to cycle before breakfast....^_^

the snail

Guru
I think I'd put some skinnier tyres on the tricross and pedal a bit harder, then look to get a bike on c2w. you should get something significantly better for £1000 makes more sense to me than a budget road bike. 2013 is a bit of a long wait though!

If you like the feel of the Tricross I'd go with making it sportier just now new wheels and tyres and buying n+1 at a later date and then you'll have a bike for all conditions and it'll make the good bike feel even more special.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
You'd probably benefit from spending £30 on a set of slick (or semi slick) 23mm (or less) tyres. When I went from some basic commuter 28mm (probably not pumped up enough) to 23mm slicks (at 100psi), the difference was definately noticable, and that just on comparitively short journeys.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
+1 to 25mm tyres in the first instance. Don't even need new wheels.

see how you go with a £20-40 investment first, then as you do more and more, keep the tricross for the rougher rides.

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
I think I'd put some skinnier tyres on the tricross and pedal a bit harder, then look to get a bike on c2w. you should get something significantly better for £1000 makes more sense to me than a budget road bike. 2013 is a bit of a long wait though!

It is a long wait but I try (with little success) to teach my young kids about patience. I should practise what I preach!

Also, I do really like riding the Tricross, its very comfortable. Would just like it to help me up the hills a little more.

aberal

Guru
You most definitely do not need to buy a new bike. New wheels will transform a bike more than you would believe. Frames and wheels are the heart and soul of bikes. The rest is add-on frippery. Do some research, but £2-300 will buy you a decent set, spend more if you can and new wheels combined with (say) £30-40 road tyres and your entire bike will be transformed. Keep the old wheels/tyres combo for tracks and trails (which is what the Tricross was designed for) and the new wheels for the road. You now have two bikes. That being said - buying a cheapo Raleigh replacement wheel was a mistake.

Albert

Über Member
Vittoria Cross XN Pro tyres(32s) roll virtually as well on my Specialized Crux as the Conti 4 Seasons on my Giant Defy Advanced. I use the Crux when the weather is poor and the roads are covered in muck - I live in the Welsh hills. My average speeds are only 0.5 to 1.00 mph slower over any given route. The Crux is on its standard Mavic CPX 22s and the significantly lighter Giant is on lovely lightweight Braccianos. Moral: tyres are even more important than wheels.

aberal

Guru
Moral: tyres are even more important than wheels.

Sorry mate, no offence - but that simply isn't the case. There's no denying the significant impact different tyres can make, but wheels can simply transform how a bike performs. In order of priority - frame and then wheels are what count. The rest of the stuff on the bike, relatively speaking, is fluff. For the OP who was considering spending £5-600 on a new bike, new tyres would be a sensible first step. But new wheels AND tyres for siginificantly less than that price are his best option.

Top Bottom