New Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I'm looking to replace my wheels on my commute bike. Its a Genesis Vapour.

http://www.evanscycl...eelset-ec024142

Would there be any problems with the above product ? I wouldn't want to fork out the money and find they don't fit...

Those are road wheels but your bike is Cyclocross. I would be amazed if you could put tyres wide enough on such road rims (the spec sheet for your bike says 35mm tyres). Also the spoke count is much lower on those Fulcrums, not great for bumpy riding or a heavy rider.

Of course, if all you are using it for is pure tarmac and want to get thinner 23mm or 25mm tyres then should be ok...

What's the reason for replacing the wheels?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
They'll be fine if you want to fit lighter thinner tyres, 23c or 25c.
Worth also checking that the weights are much lower than your current ones otherwise thinner tyres are the only advantage

As winter is coming I'd be ssticking to thicker rubber!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Nice looking wheels with slightly better quality rims than you have at present. They'll fit OK. Keep them for "Sunday best" though.... Leave the original 32 spoke wheels on for your commute.

OP
OP
P

pyeeater

bit of background to the bike ---

I bought the cycle cross originally as i was commuting most of the way along a canal tow path. Over the past couple of years I've gradually cut the tow path route out and now its all by road. So i don't think i need the fatter cross tyres any more.

The second reason for a change of wheels , is that i'm having problems with split tyre walls if i go over 40 psi . On my Sunday best road bike i keep the tyres at 110psi. 40psi seems rather low , or is that the optimum amount for the 35's ?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Is it the Conti Speed King cross tyres you have one there at the mo?
Not a great tyre, at any pressure, IMO.... although they are supposed to be max 85 psi. So 40 psi sounds very low to me.

Just get some mid-range 28mm slicks.... should be fine aound 80-90 psi on your existing wheels. Marathons are often recommended, but expensive & quite slow. Something like Bontrager Hard Case Race Lites maybe?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
If you're desperate for new wheels, you could get a set built with Exal LX17s - will allow you to run 25c at the thin end, and still go back to a fatter tyre if your commute changes again.

OP
OP
P

pyeeater

I've tried quite a few different types of tyre ....
Continental , Marathon

Every time i've gone over 40 psi , half way through my commute the tyre would explode. At first i thought it may be a faulty track pump giving the wrong psi reading , but it seems to be fine on my other bike.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Every time i've gone over 40 psi , half way through my commute the tyre would explode. At first i thought it may be a faulty track pump giving the wrong psi reading , but it seems to be fine on my other bike.

Have you looked at the wheel?

That's not right at all - could be that the pressure forces the tube against an imperfection in the rim - worth checking out.

Top Bottom