New wheels!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oliglynn

Über Member
Just got my new wheels - a pair of Fulcrum Racing 5's, and treated them to a pair of Michelin Pro3 race tyres :biggrin:

They really do the business, and look great on my allez elite.. got red pro3's to match the red frame - and despite my girlfriend's unimpressed "they're wheels...aren't they" comments I think they look great! As previous reviews stated, it was bl**dy hard to fit the tyres on, but took some great advice to use washing up liquid to help them on their way. Still took a lot of blood sweat & tears though!!

From some reviews / threads I thought the freehub would be really noisy, but in fact they're almost silent! Maybe previous models had noisier ones, I don't know.

I tore into work this morning on them - they feel lovely compared to the standard tyres/wheels supplied with my bike!

laugh.gif

gbb

Legendary Member
Nice one oliglynn. :thumbsup:
Thats interesting about the freehub noise, mine were noisy, considerably so.
If you lift the front wheel and spin by hand, do they run free...mine seemed a little tight, (newness i assume, which'll normally free up with a few miles...i got impatient and put better bearings in :blush: )
Nice wheels anyway. No regrets getting mine at all.

gbb

Legendary Member
Ooh, an afterthought...did you get Hope skewers with then ?. Probably me, but i had both of mine come slightly loose about two weeks after fitting mine.
Perhaps they need a bit more leverage than my previous ones..perhaps i just didnt do them up properly (but i really dont think so)..perhaps perhaps ?

adscrim

Veteran
getting hope skewers with Fulcrum wheel would be unusual wouldn't it? Both the pairs I've bought came with Fulcrum skewers and the 5's were definitely noisy.

OP
OP
oliglynn

oliglynn

Über Member
They came with fulcrum skewers (came with fulcrum tags on anyway, no branding to be seen on the actual qr levers)

The bearings seemed to run freely, no worse than my previous wheels anyway. Things seemed maybe just a tiny bit tighter on the rear, but hopefully that'll run-in and free up a little. Will keep you posted.

I shall be giving them a good long test ride tomorrow - planning on 70+ miles. Will keep an eye on the skewers to ensure they don't come loose.
cool.gif

Interesting the differences in freehub noise - they are really really quiet! Gbb / Adscrim - are yours the 2011 models? Mine are.

e-rider

crappy member
Just got my new wheels - a pair of Fulcrum Racing 5's, and treated them to a pair of Michelin Pro3 race tyres :biggrin:

They really do the business, and look great on my allez elite.. got red pro3's to match the red frame - and despite my girlfriend's unimpressed "they're wheels...aren't they" comments I think they look great! As previous reviews stated, it was bl**dy hard to fit the tyres on, but took some great advice to use washing up liquid to help them on their way. Still took a lot of blood sweat & tears though!!

From some reviews / threads I thought the freehub would be really noisy, but in fact they're almost silent! Maybe previous models had noisier ones, I don't know.

I tore into work this morning on them - they feel lovely compared to the standard tyres/wheels supplied with my bike!

laugh.gif

With tight tyres I prefer talc powder or just using a VAR tyre lever - both methods work great. Washing up liquid seems messy and some people say if degrades the rubber of the tyre and tube over time (but that might be bollocks)
you can buy specific tyre lube to ease fitting designed for motorbike tyres but works great on bike tyres too. £6 a tub though!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
My Fulcrum 5's are (hopefully) going back to Ribble after the rear hub split lengthways from one of the spoke holes.

Had to put the spare wheel on the bike for Sundays Cheshire cat, old, ugly and heavy as sin - but at least it's round.

OP
OP
oliglynn

oliglynn

Über Member
Finally, some images, as requested!

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

OP
OP
oliglynn

oliglynn

Über Member
Washing up liquid seems messy and some people say if degrades the rubber of the tyre and tube over time (but that might be bollocks)

Well let's hope it doesn't! ... well come to think of it, if they do degrade the rubber it should at least make them easier to get on & off!!

Top Bottom