New wheels...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eoin Rua

Looking to buy new wheels, but as cheap as possible. Been looking at the usual outlets, Wiggle, Evans etc but most of what they offer in terms of sets are out of my price range, any other ideas where I should look? Would go for used wheels if they were in good condition.

The wheels I currently have (on my Allez) are a bit beaten up, and while they do the job for commuting, I'm doing duathlons in the summer so don't know how they'll be for racing.

Also, on a sort of separate note would anyone recommend buying wheels (around the £150 mark) from the likes of Wiggle on finance?

e-rider

crappy member
Merlin Cycles sell Shimano RS10s (pair) for £100 reduced from £180

The reviews for these wheels are OK ish

buddha

Veteran
For the money (£129) Planet-X model B's are good value and get good reviews. And lighter than most in this price range.
I was initially worried about the freehub splines being weak. But since I've switched to Sram cassette's, this isn't a problem.

Alan Whicker

I got a pair of handbuilt (by Target) Rigida Chrinas from woollyhatshop for my singlespeed. All good so far. Not particularly light, but not particularly heavy either. 68 quid the pair.

monnet

Guru
Merlin also have Aksiums for about £140. Best value factory wheel at that price point, IMHO. Much better than the RS10s but depends on what you're using them for. If it's for racing/duathlons, I'd go with the Aksiums, if they're just replacements for commuter wheels then the RS10s will do the job. I was a bit unsure what the exact use will be from your post (my brain's not going great guns at the moment!)

stephec

Legendary Member
For the money (£129) Planet-X model B's are good value and get good reviews. And lighter than most in this price range.
I was initially worried about the freehub splines being weak. But since I've switched to Sram cassette's, this isn't a problem.

Spot on set of wheels, I got a pair for £99 a year ago and they still run well.

Apeman

Über Member
I am also looking for new wheels for my Claud Butler hybrid which I use for commuting and trail rides. What would be best buys bearing in mind the abuse they will suffer. All I seem to find are pukka road wheels. Help !!!!

Apeman, have you tried you lbs; the ed co op do a good range of wheels and I think the actual shop had more; I bought my last general (not road specific) 700c from them. I can't remember what type they were but they were able to give me a reasonable selection based on what I wanted to pay and use.

Jammin

Hi guys,

Going to Hijack this thread as I did a quick search!

I was wondering if you could help me with a similar problem. I commute about 50 miles a week on my road bike, but also quite enjoy a jolly in the summer and probably rack up another 30-60 miles a month on top of that. I was cycling on Sunday and I heard a huge "ping" and I noticed one of my spokes had popped out, I've also noticed that the wheel is bent. I feel its time for a new one!

Basically wheel use is 90% commute with 10% Leisure, no racing/tri's at the moment as I have a dodgy knee but definitely in the future. Any idea's on what wheel would be good? Absolute max is £150 limit but less than £120 would be preferable.

Cheers!

Trickydicky

Hi guys,

Going to Hijack this thread as I did a quick search!

I was wondering if you could help me with a similar problem. I commute about 50 miles a week on my road bike, but also quite enjoy a jolly in the summer and probably rack up another 30-60 miles a month on top of that. I was cycling on Sunday and I heard a huge "ping" and I noticed one of my spokes had popped out, I've also noticed that the wheel is bent. I feel its time for a new one!

Basically wheel use is 90% commute with 10% Leisure, no racing/tri's at the moment as I have a dodgy knee but definitely in the future. Any idea's on what wheel would be good? Absolute max is £150 limit but less than £120 would be preferable.

Cheers!
Fulcrum 7's or 5's

Depends on ur group set!

Hicky

Guru
I've got RS10's as a replacement for my alexrim500s(free on warranty) I've used them for commuting since october and riding up and down canal towpaths(occasional cobbles(real northern type :thumbsup:)) with my 2y/o on a rear seat.

Both wheels still true, cant fault them.

Top Bottom