Newbie advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rjkc600

Hi guys,

Ive recently started riding my front suspension MTB for fast road use, im a beginner and havent cycled for 12 years or so, but a pending london - southend ride means im now in full training.

Ive fitted city jet tyres, to make it easier, and its made a good improvement over the old nobbly tyres and ive acheived 33mph on them, with an average of 16 - 20mph.

My bike rides are getting longer, and im finding that my current bike is a little tough going up hills, i seem to be wasting a lot of energy doing so.

Now for some Questions:

1. Will a racer make life a lot easier? or are the gains small? Ive never ridden one.

2. My MTB has 24 gears. Ive seen racers with 10 gears, and some with 24. Can someone advise on the best choice for fast road use, and easy acceleration?

I think thats it for now.

Thanks in advance!

Roger. ;)

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Road bike, for.... roads! ;)
Does your MTB have suspension forks? If so is there a switch to lockout the suspension and make them rigid?

This will help with riding it on the road. You will get to Saarfend no problem on it but faster and easier on a road bike.

Cheers,
SD

OP
OP
R

rjkc600

hi SD,

My forks are adjustable, and i have them on the firmest setting, but i cant lock them rigid.

Are 'racers' unbearable over pot-holed roads etc? I also heard that the spokes need tuning very frequently?

Thanks again

;)

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sounds like my flatmate's bike (Specialized Hardrock) un-lockout-able... and he also rides about with them on the firmest setting. He commutes a 16 mile round trip daily on this setup (all road) and seems to like it.

You will need to pay more attention to potholes etc. on a road bike but it's not like they are made of tinfoil. Any bike will thank you for avoiding avoidable holes I think ;)

I have recently converted from a hybrid to a road bike myself and enjoy the lighter machine and added speed. Avg commute to work in the morning has gone down from 22 mins to about 19 mins.

Maybe you can go into a bike shop and ask to test ride a couple of road bikes to see how they feel or perhaps try to borrow one for a couple of hours from a friend or colleague before investing? To be honest, I doubt you would be dissapointed but they do cost a lot of £'s I suppose.

Cheers,
SD

OP
OP
R

rjkc600

Thanks for that.

Ill try my local bike shops, i wasnt sure if bike shops did demo's or not, but i can ask.

Im really getting into cycling, and to use it for commuting id like to get something that is easier to maintain speed, hence a road bike.

Ill pop over to Cycles UK (my LBS) and check some out.

Cheers!

;)

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yup, all decent LBS' will let you take test rides. If they don't then I wouldn't want to buy a bike from 'em. I predict you will fall in love with one - so perhaps safer to leave the credit card with the big limit at home....? ;)

OP
OP
R

rjkc600

i quite like the specialized one.

Ive also seen the Scott speedster S60 on evans cycles site. Looks nice. Not sure why the scott has 24 gears but the specialized says it has 9 gears?

So confusing.

:biggrin:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
9 at the back & 3 chainrings.... 27 speed.
The Scott will be 3 rings 8 cogs = 24 :biggrin:

For the record the "Spesh" Allez has a great rep. Others will hopefully be along shortly to confirm or deny my claims!

SD

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
rjkc600 said:
i see. are the 24 gears the same as the 24 gears on my MTB? ir will they have differnt ratio's?

Im excited bout testing these bikes now. :biggrin:

The gearing will be higher on a road bike. I'd imagine that your current rear gears range from about 12 - 30 teeth on the cogs. The road bikes linked typically have cassettes going up to maybe 26 teeth on the largest sprocket. You will most likely still get up hills on them though and go faster on the flat / downhill :biggrin:

EDIT: the link posted above by garrilla is helpful :laugh: I almost linked the Boardman but it's £145 over your *cough* Max budget... or IS IT?! :laugh:

OP
OP
R

rjkc600

ok that makes sense.

So generally the road bikes are a little harder up hill, but faster on the straights?

I try not to use the largest sprockets on the rear cassette, like to punish myself as much as possible :biggrin:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hmmm, not sure if harder is really true because you don't use the large sprockets at the moment. Also the Spesh Allez is a triple so the smallest front ring and a mid-size rear sprocket will get you up most things.

Top Bottom